2020 map update available

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

^^^ +1. I looked at it because others on here were raving about it but immediately discounted it as it looked so Micky Mouse to me.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Guy

Post by Guy »

Rigger wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:49 pm Just use Waze via CarPlay....... much easier than the Porsche faff with their nav software
+1, and it's free!
VanB

Post by VanB »

I never used to be a fan of Waze but find it integrates very well with Car Play and the updates on pot holes, police, accidents etc are very useful. Visually it's not the best but the functionality is actually very good.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
GWDALBA

Post by GWDALBA »

davewf wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:52 pm You can register here, you are looking for Navigation information, this is with Porsche not Vodafone. Once you register you can add your car.

Col M have you tried connecting the car to you home wifi, then downloading. Its pretty easy to do although cannot remember exact sequence.
I have my car registered but don't have connect. Therefore I don't see any advantage of using this Porsche service?
2016 Macan GTS in Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S 987 in GT Silver
rosino

Post by rosino »

Love waze as it’s by a million miles smarter than the usual OEM navs. But it’s GUI on apple CarPlay is far from ideal, you can’t really pinch and zoom, move view etc in any smooth way.

As a general observation I find Apple CarPlay suboptimal. Icons too big, text too big. Podcasts selection is a pain as you can basically see only 3 words in the title... so just feels an unfinished product.

But for quality traffic info waze and google maps are unbeatable IMHO.
nick265sprint

Post by nick265sprint »

rosino wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:37 am Love waze as it’s by a million miles smarter than the usual OEM navs. But it’s GUI on apple CarPlay is far from ideal, you can’t really pinch and zoom, move view etc in any smooth way.

As a general observation I find Apple CarPlay suboptimal. Icons too big, text too big. Podcasts selection is a pain as you can basically see only 3 words in the title... so just feels an unfinished product.

That's a really interesting comment re Apple CarPlay. I totally agree with you on Waze which is my GoTo navigation tool for the UK.

Interestingly on a trip to the states in November last year one of the hire cars had both Google & Apple Car Play and we tried out all the Phone Sat Navs we had with us, so used the Iphone one, Waze and Google Maps. this was a 3 day test around Austin texas, over to see the F1 and out of the 3 systems Google Maps came up the best, just beating Waze and leaving the Iphone one in 3rd. All of them playing on the car screen, and yep it was a really high end luxury car.................... Hyundai :D :D :D
Black SD, Pan Roof,18 way seats, Nav, PCM, PASM etc
Avid car collector :D really should sell some ;)
Col M

Post by Col M »

nick265sprint wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:25 am
rosino wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:37 am Love waze as it’s by a million miles smarter than the usual OEM navs. But it’s GUI on apple CarPlay is far from ideal, you can’t really pinch and zoom, move view etc in any smooth way.

That's a really interesting comment re Apple CarPlay. I totally agree with you on Waze which is my GoTo navigation tool for the UK.

Interestingly on a trip to the states in November last year one of the hire cars had both Google & Apple Car Play and we tried out all the Phone Sat Navs we had with us, so used the Iphone one, Waze and Google Maps. this was a 3 day test around Austin texas, over to see the F1 and out of the 3 systems Google Maps came up the best, just beating Waze and leaving the Iphone one in 3rd. All of them playing on the car screen, and yep it was a really high end luxury car.................... Hyundai :D :D :D
I’ve never been too clear on data roaming costs if I do use Waze etc. in the US so have avoided it.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
nick265sprint

Post by nick265sprint »

Col M wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:45 pm
nick265sprint wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:25 am

I’ve never been too clear on data roaming costs if I do use Waze etc. in the US so have avoided it.
I had one of these pay a set price per day charges with a decent max download and it worked out pretty well. Went on to do a 10 day road trip and was using it to book hotels each day, plan routes etc.
Black SD, Pan Roof,18 way seats, Nav, PCM, PASM etc
Avid car collector :D really should sell some ;)
911Fiddler

Post by 911Fiddler »

Macan 2016/17, SD, PCM 4.x.
Trying to get a nav map update at the moment and failing despite having access to Porsche Connect services.
Im told the SD card (UK/EU) is part #9P1.909.000.BG.
Anybody suceeded with this?

No way do I want to use Waze!
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

If you have online services why are you not downloading the map over the air?
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver