Registration of new battery

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
ankacc

Post by ankacc »

Dear friends of the Tiger,

I bought a new battery for my Macan Diesel (build 2014), a Varta Silver Dynamic AGM 95Ah. As it is an aftermarket battery, it comes without the serial- and part-numbers which are required to register the new battery. Without these numbers - a 10-digits serial number and an 11-digits part number - it is impossible to register the battery with an iCarsoft diagnostic tool. I tried the registration with numbers from the internet, but without success. The iCarsoft device alwayssays 'Cannot receive correct response from vehicle'. It also won't work without any numbers.

Neither iCarsoft nor Varta are able or willing to help.

Can anyone help with serial- and part-numbers? They can also be from another battery manufacturer as long as the battery type (AGM 95 Ah) is the same. Or does anyone know how to trick the iCarsoft tool?

Thanks a lot,
Andreas

IMG_8025.jpg

IMG_8024.jpg

IMG_8023.jpg

Guy

Post by Guy »

According to the US forum,the iCarSoft tool is unable to register a new battery. See here: https://www.macanforum.com/threads/replacing-the-battery.84682/page-21
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Does your new Varta have a BEM code sticker on it?

I’ve also seen some posts saying iCarsoft battery registration doesn’t work on the Macan but it might have been updated since then.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I have a different tool - but I haven’t tried to program a battery with it.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
ankacc

Post by ankacc »

Thanks to all respondents. Useful information. The iCarsoft tool was sold without the information that the BMS doesn't work on Macancs.
@CharlesElliott: there was no sticker on the battery.
davewf

Post by davewf »

Does it matter if the battery isn't registered? is the car complaining?
ankacc

Post by ankacc »

So far not. All systems working. I realized that the charging voltage is lower (13.6-14V vs. 15V, read in the cockpit display). I assume this is because the old battery was already very weak and needed a lot of charging to provide enough energy.
Mobile chicane

Post by Mobile chicane »

ankacc wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:32 am So far not. All systems working. I realized that the charging voltage is lower (13.6-14V vs. 15V, read in the cockpit display). I assume this is because the old battery was already very weak and needed a lot of charging to provide enough energy.
I've just fitted a halfords 019 AGM battery as the original 2015 battery on my Ds was running at 15v charging and although it looked fine if left for a few days without being on a battery optimiser it would still start but throw up loads of random eml codes which once it had been driven for 15 mins could be cleared by a crista code reader and did not return once the vehicle was re started.

I used a separate battery and jump leads on the jump terminals on the front of the car to keep 12vdc on the system whilst I replaced the battery just in case droping it off affected the coding of the car.

on start up the new battery charges at 13.7 to 14.1 v so I suspect the old one was on its way out

I bought the battery from halfords and they informed me that they could not code it and sevral other places also said the same, its obviously not a Porsche battery so no special code to enter into any system.

I'll be taking it to northway in a few months for a light service so I'll enquire with them if they can do it whilst its there, I'll keep an eye on the charging voltage
Mobile chicane

Post by Mobile chicane »

I've just fitted a halfords 019 AGM battery as the original 2015 battery on my Ds was running at 15v charging and although it looked fine if left for a few days without being on a battery optimiser it would still start but throw up loads of random eml codes which once it had been driven for 15 mins could be cleared by a crista code reader and did not return once the vehicle was re started.

I used a separate battery and jump leads on the jump terminals on the front of the car to keep 12vdc on the system whilst I replaced the battery just in case droping it off affected the coding of the car.

on start up the new battery charges at 13.7 to 14.1 v so I suspect the old one was on its way out

I bought the battery from halfords and they informed me that they could not code it and sevral other places also said the same, its obviously not a Porsche battery so no special code to enter into any system.

I'll be taking it to northway in a few months for a light service so I'll enquire with them if they can do it whilst its there, I'll keep an eye on the charging