Clean Keys !

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
peter7

Post by peter7 »

Woke up this morning ... empty the washing machine ! To find my Macan key staring at me from inside ...
Macan S Agate grey 2014 one of the original press cars

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Oops! Does it still work?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
peter7

Post by peter7 »

I have put it in a bowl of rice in the airing cupboard! I’ll report back later ...
it was an intensive wash too ... fingers crossed 🤞
Macan S Agate grey 2014 one of the original press cars
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Ouch 🤕, not sure but I guess you have put the key complete into the rice, would be better to dismantle and leave the components open to the air in a warm spot. The cover comes apart easily, at the minimum take the battery out and don’t re-use, just replace it. Good luck. 👍

Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

The alkaline salts in the washing power won't do it any favours so best advice is battery out, clean any electrolytic corrosion off terminals and rinse well in distilled water, then dry out for couple of days, replace battery. Could well work. Fingers crossed for you.
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
RAA

Post by RAA »

Hope your key will work OK, Peter. I have now got into the routine, of dismantling the key fob when I return home, and secreting the fob, the battery and the back cover and key in three different places around my house. 1/. By removing the battery, the fob will not transmit a signal that can be cloned by a car thief, and 2/. if a thief breaks into my house to look for the key fob, they are not going to find it. It only takes me a minute to reconstruct the key fob, each time I need to drive the car.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I would be concerned that with all the dismantling and reassembling the key over a period of time it will wear out fall apart. The key is not designed to be taken apart and rebuilt every day. If your worried it would probably be better to buy a good safe and keep your keys in there.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Deleted User 3304

Post by Deleted User 3304 »

RAA wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:56 pm Hope your key will work OK, Peter. I have now got into the routine, of dismantling the key fob when I return home, and secreting the fob, the battery and the back cover and key in three different places around my house. 1/. By removing the battery, the fob will not transmit a signal that can be cloned by a car thief, and 2/. if a thief breaks into my house to look for the key fob, they are not going to find it. It only takes me a minute to reconstruct the key fob, each time I need to drive the car.
Why not make life simpler and buy a cheap RFID car key pouch from Amazon (other sellers are available!)
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

RAA wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:56 pm Hope your key will work OK, Peter. I have now got into the routine, of dismantling the key fob when I return home, and secreting the fob, the battery and the back cover and key in three different places around my house. 1/. By removing the battery, the fob will not transmit a signal that can be cloned by a car thief, and 2/. if a thief breaks into my house to look for the key fob, they are not going to find it. It only takes me a minute to reconstruct the key fob, each time I need to drive the car.
That sounds like a faf. Do you work for MI6 as your day job? :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Paul

Post by Paul »

Is that because, at the moment, you’ve not much else on....?😂😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465