Clean Keys !

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

RAA wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:56 pm Hope your key will work OK, Peter. I have now got into the routine, of dismantling the key fob when I return home, and secreting the fob, the battery and the back cover and key in three different places around my house. 1/. By removing the battery, the fob will not transmit a signal that can be cloned by a car thief, and 2/. if a thief breaks into my house to look for the key fob, they are not going to find it. It only takes me a minute to reconstruct the key fob, each time I need to drive the car.
Being Devil’s Advocate, but if a thief broke into my house, rather than them searching the whole house and endangering the occupants, would it maybe be better if they found the key, rather than risking harm to you and your family? If they’re that determined to steal your Porsche, they could potentially be violent/dangerous. 😬
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

If they break in to recover the key, then you are fully insured, so with that in mind, I agree with Wing Commander.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
RAA

Post by RAA »

Paul wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:06 pm
RAA wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:56 pm Hope your key will work OK, Peter. I have now got into the routine, of dismantling the key fob when I return home, and secreting the fob, the battery and the back cover and key in three different places around my house. 1/. By removing the battery, the fob will not transmit a signal that can be cloned by a car thief, and 2/. if a thief breaks into my house to look for the key fob, they are not going to find it. It only takes me a minute to reconstruct the key fob, each time I need to drive the car.
Is that because, at the moment, you’ve not much else on....?😂😉
Well, it only takes a minute to re-assemble, and does give me peace of mind; but I have been known, when leaving home, to lock the front door, activate the burglar alarm, and then realise the key fob is still in the house !! Time on my hands ? - Plenty during 'lock-down' !
Last edited by RAA on Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAA

Post by RAA »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:47 pm
Being Devil’s Advocate, but if a thief broke into my house, rather than them searching the whole house and endangering the occupants, would it maybe be better if they found the key, rather than risking harm to you and your family? If they’re that determined to steal your Porsche, they could potentially be violent/dangerous. 😬
Yes, I had thought of that, Wing Co. Firstly, I'm single; secondly I used to train in Judo, and ran clubs in south London; and thirdly, if confronted, I thought I'd first tell them that it's not my car, but I allow a neighbour to park on my drive ! Whether that would work, who can tell !
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ ..thereby putting your neighbour in danger...!! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
RAA

Post by RAA »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:19 pm ^^^ ..thereby putting your neighbour in danger...!! ;)
Thought of that one too - "All my close neighbours have off street parking: the car belongs to someone round the corner. I don't know his address, only have his email." would be my answer. "All I know is, his name's John, has a beard, about 5'10" ; oh, and he mentioned he did judo and other martial arts when he was in the SAS". Check mate, Wing Co. ! (?)
pmg

Post by pmg »

RAA wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 am
Wing Commander wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:19 pm ^^^ ..thereby putting your neighbour in danger...!! ;)
Thought of that one too - "All my close neighbours have off street parking: the car belongs to someone round the corner. I don't know his address, only have his email." would be my answer. "All I know is, his name's John, has a beard, about 5'10" ; oh, and he mentioned he did judo and other martial arts when he was in the SAS". Check mate, Wing Co. ! (?)
When you tell the potential car thieves that I just hope you are 6 ft 6 tall , ex SAS and did Judo
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

So the key question peter7 is does the key still work post-ICU ?!!!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
peter7

Post by peter7 »

YES !!!
Perfectly
The bowl of rice trick worked a treat !
Macan S Agate grey 2014 one of the original press cars
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Good news indeed and saves the hefty costs of a replacement....even if you could get one currently.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver