Milky chrome on 'C' pillar

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

I have the optional chrome trim around the windows. It has milky spots on the chrome trim on the 'C' pillars and looks pretty crap. All the other chrome is fine.

It was there when I bought the car (porsche approved) and I asked them to see if they could get it out. They said they tried polishing it out but didn't work. Only option left would be to replace trim which I didn't fancy.

I've got a very small amount of clouding on the brushed ali trim on my rs4 and I've been told its oxidation. I guess it's the same on the Macan? Anyone else suffered this?

As I now have a bit of time on my hands I'm going to do a bit of detailing on the car. Any recommendations for getting rid of this clouding? I've looked at Meguirars nxt all metal polish...I can also use it on the chrome exhaust tips.

Also, any hand applied polish recommendations for agate grey paint to get it to really 'pop'!?
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Andy C,
Re the “cloudy chrome” if the dealer couldn’t buff it out I am not sure that metal polish will work as it sounds like it maybe under the surface, I think you would end up just scratching the coating. First try something gentler with a low level of cleaning/cutting ability, if it doesn’t lift it, wrap, replace or forget 🙄. If you want the paintwork to pop, the base is the most important element. First check how smooth the surface is after washing, run your fingers across the panels, if you feel it is rough to the touch especially lower side panels and around the wheel arches use a tar remover, then Claybar the whole car, once completed it should feel like “SILK” Check in the bright sunlight the paint condition, if it is good with no discolouration, swirls or marks you have a number of options. Polish out just where there are any small surface marks, (if there are lots of swirls you really need to machine polish) if your happy with it you can go straight to waxing, although I would recommend a protective sealant be applied first. If you follow these steps the sealing and the waxing is extremely easy to apply and I guarantee the paint will pop 😎. See the attachment with a couple of recommendations re products.
://www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9705#p195164

P.S. Nice to see another Lotus driver on the forum 👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Hi Mike...thanks for the reply. Which lotus do you have?

I'm thinking that the milky marks on the chrome are under the surface so I'll just have to forget about it.

Regarding the cleaner of the car, your advice is pretty much what I do currently on my other cars - spray the car with water to knock off as much muck as possible, then snow foam, rince, wash with mit and rince, tar remover, iron x, another quick wash and rince, clay only if necessary then polish and wax. The paint on the Macan is pretty good with very few swirl marks. I'm just after a good polish which can be applied by hand then I can wax over it with the maguiars carnauber wax I've got.

What is the protective sealant you mention?
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Maybe water stains that have eaten until into the trim. A dedicated water spot remover would be worth a try. Fireball make a good effective one.
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

MCDK wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:21 pm Maybe water stains that have eaten until into the trim. A dedicated water spot remover would be worth a try. Fireball make a good effective one.
👍thanks...I'll have a look at that.
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

AndyC160 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:57 pm
MCDK wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:21 pm Maybe water stains that have eaten until into the trim. A dedicated water spot remover would be worth a try. Fireball make a good effective one.
👍thanks...I'll have a look at that.
My chrome trims around the windows are the same with many small spots/stains/marks. I too tried polish but looked exactly the same afterwards. Let me know how you know get on with the water-spot remover - good luck!
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Here's a photo...

Strange how it's only happened on the 'C' pillar trims.

20200421_162800.jpg

Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

Wow - that certainly does look a fair bit worse than mine. It does look like some kind of 'reaction' rather than just simple water spotting but hopefully it can be cleaned somehow.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

AndyC160 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:25 am Hi Mike...thanks for the reply. Which lotus do you have?

I'm thinking that the milky marks on the chrome are under the surface so I'll just have to forget about it.

Regarding the cleaner of the car, your advice is pretty much what I do currently on my other cars - spray the car with water to knock off as much muck as possible, then snow foam, rince, wash with mit and rince, tar remover, iron x, another quick wash and rince, clay only if necessary then polish and wax. The paint on the Macan is pretty good with very few swirl marks. I'm just after a good polish which can be applied by hand then I can wax over it with the maguiars carnauber wax I've got.

Hi Andy, it’s a 220 Sport, great fun. Re sealant, it’s JetSeal from ChemicalGuys, easy application and very forgiving if you need to redo a section, gives a bonded protective coating which lasts up to one year.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

MikeM wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:32 pm
AndyC160 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:25 am Hi Mike...thanks for the reply. Which lotus do you have?

Hi Andy, it’s a 220 Sport, great fun. Re sealant, it’s JetSeal from ChemicalGuys, easy application and very forgiving if you need to redo a section, gives a bonded protective coating which lasts up to one year.
Nice choice of elise...although I dont think you can go wrong with any. I'm really missing getting out in mine, especially in this great weather. I had loads of trips and events in the diary for this spring/ summer :(

JetSeal sounds good for all the chrome trim around the windows and the roofrails and exhaust tips. Can it be used on body paintwork?...it sounds like people do from reviews I've read.
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160