Battery indicator panel

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
jkwade

Post by jkwade »

Has anyone fitted one of these?

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessori ... ator-panel

WIth the car sat on the drive 99% of the time not being used apart from very small journeys to the shops, I was getting a bit concerned with the battery voltage. I measured it yesterday at 11.6V so definitely getting on the low side.

I was going to push the button on a ctek mxs but it appears so is everyone else and they’re like hens teeth at the moment.

In the end I ordered a victron blue smart charger like this one

https://www.victronenergy.com/chargers/ ... 65-charger

Quite like the Bluetooth so you can see the charge info from the house with the car sat on the drive

I then debated the old, how do you plug it in quandary. But the panel caught my eye. Long enough lead to go from the battery to one of the side panels in the boot. Indicator lights so you can easily see the state of charge and a simple port to plug the charger into. I can lock the charger in the boot with an extension lead to the wall socket as the car is left outside.

I’ll update this thread with the install and finished article but interested in any others who have done similar.

There was a lead with a built in indicator (both victron and ctek do these) but they’re quite short and therefore wouldn’t be very convenient.

pmg

Post by pmg »

I have found that "the seat memory comfort access" not working 100per cent of the time in a series of short journeys acts as a first warning of battery charge capacity issue so no need to go as far as a battery warning panel. I can also see whether there is an issue form how high the voltage charging is once past car fully warmed stage.

Since lockdown and a 20 mile 3/4 starts essential shopping run once a week, I have had my CTEK MXS 5.0 on the car in the garage the rest of the time and even after such a 20 miles run its 4 hrs plus before showing battery fully charged.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

I have a CTEK and one of their leads permanently connected to the battery terminals up front. I have made a long extension from the unit (10m or so) so plenty of length to leave the CTEK permanently mounted to the garage wall and the lead to the battery fed under the bonnet near to the windscreen. Works well
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Madelvic wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:17 pm I have a CTEK and one of their leads permanently connected to the battery terminals up front. I have made a long extension from the unit (10m or so) so plenty of length to leave the CTEK permanently mounted to the garage wall and the lead to the battery fed under the bonnet near to the windscreen. Works well
You say it works well, but there could be quite a significant voltage drop in a cable that length. That may extend charging times or confuse the charger, particularly if needing to recover the battery from a low state of charge any time.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:56 pm
Madelvic wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:17 pm I have a CTEK and one of their leads permanently connected to the battery terminals up front. I have made a long extension from the unit (10m or so) so plenty of length to leave the CTEK permanently mounted to the garage wall and the lead to the battery fed under the bonnet near to the windscreen. Works well
You say it works well, but there could be quite a significant voltage drop in a cable that length. That may extend charging times or confuse the charger, particularly if needing to recover the battery from a low state of charge any time.
It works a treat Nick. It is a multi strand high quality copper cable, from memory 90 strands. Ctek sell extension leads but I couldn’t justify the price so made my own
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
jkwade

Post by jkwade »

right, finally got round to fitting the panel.

Fairly straightforward

Remove the false floor, hinge the battery lid out the way, remove the subwoover (2 torx screws and a cable).
The remove the rear load lip panel, remove the rear load anchor point and pull the side panel out (where the tyre compressor is kept)

IMG_1688.jpeg

Take the side panel and mark the position of the battery indicator panel (BIP).

IMG_1692.jpeg

Thread the cable through the hole and fit the BIP.

IMG_1694.jpeg

IMG_1695.jpeg

IMG_1696.jpeg

Thread the cable back down to the battery, cable tying it in place in a few places

IMG_1699.jpeg

IMG_1700.jpeg

To quote John Haynes, assembly is the reverse of disassembly

IMG_1701.jpeg

All in all quite pleased with the end result. Should make connecting the charger a toddle and the lead and charger are locked in the boot whilst charging which as the car isn't kept in a garage is important.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

A proper Vernier calliper, not many could read one of those these days. :?
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Only thing I would worry about is the length of cable from the battery connection to the in-line fuse. Ideally the fuse would be adjacent to the connection.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA