Oil refill

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

I got the max. 1 ltr refill oil warning pop up today.

Car is a 2.0. MY 2018. Its done just under 6k miles since I bought it in September at a year old with 11k miles. Most of those miles were done commuting before lockdown. 40 miles round trip each day, so not short trips and it's not been pushed too hard!

OPC did an oil change service when I bought it and service indicator says next service in 23800 miles.

Is it normal on the Macan to have to top the oil up after so few miles?
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Macan service intervals are at 20,000 miles or two year intervals. Depending on usage, the oil change warning can come up earlier. If the OPC just did an oil change then oil change and service interval are now out of sync on your car.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Never topped mine up. Mine is a 3lt Diesel so I'm not sure were talking apples and apples if you know what I mean 8-) .
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

On-Track wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:02 pm Macan service intervals are at 20,000 miles or two year intervals. Depending on usage, the oil change warning can come up earlier. If the OPC just did an oil change then oil change and service interval are now out of sync on your car.
I just need to top up, max 1ltr. Not an actual oil change/ warning light. Thinking about when I top my audi up, almost 6k miles isn't too bad for the Macan.

The oil change was part of the intermediate maintenance service including brake fluid change and they sync'd all so no worries there. From what I've read quite a few people end up having their macan's serviced after the first year when the oil change light comes on rather than after two years.
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

It’s common to need a top up, especially in the first 15k or so miles when the engine is still fully bedding in. Mine required a litre at 8k but hasn’t since.

What does the level indicator show? Does it confirm that the engine needs a litre?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
PSEE

Post by PSEE »

In the US, the oil service interval is every 10K miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.

In my experience, the dealer doesn't fill the oil to the top mark and leaves it in the middle.
To me, this is a shortcut, and is not providing a full oil change, since it starts off ~1/2 a quart
down.

You may have used 1/2 a quart and not a full quart. If you decide to do the top-up yourself, do
not just dump a quart in, instead add ~3/4 of a quart and see where the level reads. It may be full.
You could also start by adding 1/2 a quart, then check it.

(sorry, we're still using mostly quarts here in the US - only liters for liquor - 750ml and 1.5l actually)

Good luck!
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:40 pm It’s common to need a top up, especially in the first 15k or so miles when the engine is still fully bedding in. Mine required a litre at 8k but hasn’t since.

What does the level indicator show? Does it confirm that the engine needs a litre?
Its showing yellow. Sounds like it's quite normal then.
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

PSEE wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:14 pm In the US, the oil service interval is every 10K miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.

In my experience, the dealer doesn't fill the oil to the top mark and leaves it in the middle.
To me, this is a shortcut, and is not providing a full oil change, since it starts off ~1/2 a quart
down.

You may have used 1/2 a quart and not a full quart. If you decide to do the top-up yourself, do
not just dump a quart in, instead add ~3/4 of a quart and see where the level reads. It may be full.
You could also start by adding 1/2 a quart, then check it.

(sorry, we're still using mostly quarts here in the US - only liters for liquor - 750ml and 1.5l actually)

Good luck!
Yes, I am going to try half a litre first and see where that takes it.
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

Mine took 1 lts at 11000 miles non since, now at 45000, bottom mark to top is 1 lts exactly on my 3 lts.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

AndyC160 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:26 pm I got the max. 1 ltr refill oil warning pop up today.

Car is a 2.0. MY 2018. Its done just under 6k miles since I bought it in September at a year old with 11k miles. Most of those miles were done commuting before lockdown. 40 miles round trip each day, so not short trips and it's not been pushed too hard!

OPC did an oil change service when I bought it and service indicator says next service in 23800 miles.

Is it normal on the Macan to have to top the oil up after so few miles?
Sorry, I misread your original post above. I thought you were saying the car was calling for an oil change.

For the first year of my car's life, it was using oil at the rate of 1L per 5000 miles. After around 14,000 miles the rate of usage dropped off dramatically and now I don't need to add small amounts between services. Because I like to keep the oil level at maximum, I check it every month or so and top up when the indicator is mid-way beteen max and min. The difference between the two level marks on the indicator is 1L.

If the indicator is between max and min, it shows green with a message "the oil level is OK". If it showing yellow then action will be needed and the screen should give you guidance on what is necessary.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel