False alarms

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
CliveB

Post by CliveB »

At the moment we tend to use the Macan just once a week to shop. Each time in the last three weeks the alarm has gone off around midnight (about six hours after we returned). I used the key fob to unlock and relock the car, which stopped the alarm. However, on these occasions the alarm went off a further two or three times. I checked and there were no cats or dogs around the car… and last night the rain was torrential so nothing was out and about.

Has anyone else experienced repeat false triggers? Do you know if the car records which sensor triggered the alarm?

It's the 2020 model, delivered Dec'19

Thanks
2020 Macan S Gen2 sold: 2015 Macan S

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Is the battery getting fully topped on your shopping runs? Probably will need at least 15 miles round trip.

Are all the windows, doors, hatchback and bonnet firmly shut?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Your experience brought back memories of problems I had with two Mercedes E350CDI cars. The cars were both fitted with air suspension and this post might be relevant if your Macan is similarly equipped.

With the first one, the problem started six months after purchase. Exactly six hours after shutting down the car and locking it the alarm would go off. Unlocking and relocking the car stopped the alarm until the next time the car was used. After four attempts by the dealer to find and rectify the problem (we've never seen this before sir!), I rejected the car and Mercedes supplied a replacement.

Initially, I was delighted as it had the 265hp V6 diesel and the performance was magic. Six months after taking deliver the problem re-started, the only difference was the time from shut down was 60min. I said to the dealer "you're not going to give me yet another car so I'll just have to live with it"

At the time I bought the first car, buyers specifying Airmatic suspension on E classes were few and far between. However, by the time the problem occurred on the second car it had become a more common option. When nearly all buyers experienced similar problems to me, Mercedes was prompted to properly investigate.

This is where the possible relevance to your problems comes in. It turns out that the two rear suspension towers leaked air at a different rate and at a certain point there was sufficient tilt on the car to fool the alarm into thinking that the car had been jacked up. Because the alarm was doing what it was supposed to, the car recorded the activation of the alarm but no fault was registered. Mercedes designed a modification to the suspension towers and the problem went away.

Of course if your Macan does not have air suspension this has just been a totally irrelevant story but if your car does then it might provide a clue.

There is a difference between Mercedes air suspension and the Porsche system. Mercedes uses air dampers as well as air springs.

Good luck with finding the fault.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
CliveB

Post by CliveB »

Thanks for the replies. I have given the car a decent run but will call out Porsche Assistance and get them to check the battery. It doesn't have air suspension but will mention the Merc issue to Porsche Assistance.
2020 Macan S Gen2 sold: 2015 Macan S