Is this 'normal' on the Macan?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

So I have read the thread on Transfer Box issues and, having owned a Cayman with 20inch PZeros I am familiar with Ackerman steering geometry and its effects.

Reversing the Macan with almost full lock with warm 19inch tyres on a warm day I felt a vibration/shudder from a REAR wheel which is enough to vibrate the rear parcel shelf. Previously, (the Cayman) I felt the Ackerman effect on the front suspension through the steering.

Some Google threads suggest this skipping/vibration is normal reversing 4WD vehicles in tight spots but has anyone else noticed it on their Macan?

Have booked in with OPC to check if transfer box issue.

Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Not on my Macan with 21 inch summer or 20 inch winter tyres.

I've had a succession of Audis and they all did it when the tyres were more than 50% worn. Problem disappeared with fresh rubber

I had a Nissan GTR that did it all the time
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

What is your mileage? My transfer box was replaced at 14k and it felt like the rear wheels were skipping, not just when on lock.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

I only have 10K miles on our Macan and have never noticed it previously whilst reversing. I don't have any other transfer box failure symptoms as yet but I will keep a close eye out. The Macan is within Porsche warranty so I will be asking the OPC to do a full check of the transfer box when it goes in for its ALA recall for the fuel issue.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I would warn the OPC beforehand, they may just change the box when you visit then.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.