Query: retrofit tow bar (tow hitch)

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Hi all,

We are thinking of doing more cycling as a family and so need to put a carrier on the back.

Has any one been able to retro fit a tow bar to their macan ? Ours is a 2016 model and the dealer has quoted £2k for the retrofit. :o

Was hoping there are some alternatives that don’t invalidate our warranty (which I assume means being ripped off by Porsche somehow!) :)

I did see this recent thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9889&p=197100&hili ... ar#p197100

Which seemed to imply the only Porsche approved option is the expensive £2k one. Anyone had a better price to get it installed ?

Stormin

Post by Stormin »

Hi Scaramanga, been thinking about it too!! Don’t fancy paying the £2k retrofit though. I have see a number of posts on here over time but never really bottomed it out. Be interested in discovering with you.
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Thanks! Let’s try and figure it out together!
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

There are a number of aftermarket towbars either fixed, detachable or retractable (motorised). OPC will tell you that these invalidate the warranty but this should only relate to faults directly associated with the towbar and it's connection to the vehicle. My OPC stated that for example a transfer box issue would still be covered. When I did some research some time ago costs ranged from £600 - £900 depending on type of towbar. This included the correct dedicated wiring loom. Also all of the after market options I looked at required the rear diffuser to be modified.

In the end I went with the Porsche option with a good discount.
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Thanks! Just trying to work out what is reasonable in terms of discount.
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

I paid £1500 still expensive but it is a nice bit of kit.
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Thanks. Will see if my OPC will accommodate.
Stormin

Post by Stormin »

Would be interested to hear how you get on. Where is your local OPC, ours is Tonbridge.
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

I use Mid Sussex for most servicing... Tonbridge not too far away in case they would do a deal for 2 ?
Stormin

Post by Stormin »

Worth a try, I doubt Rishi Sunak will issue any vouchers.