Query: retrofit tow bar (tow hitch)

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

:lol:

If you don’t ask....

nick265sprint

Post by nick265sprint »

Not sure where you got with this one, but if you fit a none Porsche Tow bar you will definately invalidate your warranty. No if's or buts. I refused to pay the £ 2K for an electric one as it was well over the top for my requirements, so had proffessionally fitted a £500 Westfalia removable bar same make as Porsche used to fit and the one that is fitted to Audi SQ5 which the car is based on. The aluminium bumper bar removed has Audi stamped into it. I then took the car for an 111 point check to get an extended warranty which it passed on everything, but refused because of the Towbar. Escalated to Porsche GB, fobbed off and still refused. So have a Warranty Wise warranty for when the transfer box goes.
Black SD, Pan Roof,18 way seats, Nav, PCM, PASM etc
Avid car collector :D really should sell some ;)
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Haven’t really gotten anywhere sadly!

I just think £2k is way too much.
nick265sprint

Post by nick265sprint »

Scaramanga wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:21 pm Haven’t really gotten anywhere sadly!

I just think £2k is way too much.
Totally agree which is why I did what I did and fitted a normal mechanical one, top quality job by a very experienced tow bar fitting company, counted for nothing I am afraid. What is more annoying is that Porsche used to offer the simple mechanical one as an option but removed it. It's their choice but it has tarnished my ownership experience and my experience of dealing with the dealers is not enhancing that at the moment. Shame as I really like the car.
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

Don’t blame you. I wish there was an alternative to the macan tbh. Porsche’s attitude really sucks.
nick265sprint

Post by nick265sprint »

Scaramanga wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:44 pm Don’t blame you. I wish there was an alternative to the macan tbh. Porsche’s attitude really sucks.
It sure does. In a way I was lucky in that I found this out just at the 3 year point, however it cost me £220 for the 111 point check to find it out :shock: and then we had lockdown so I had time to sort things out and went down the independant warranty route. However now waiting for the Transfer Box problem, currently got the Adblue Injector pipe leak problem right now, only £ 720 to fix a know fault. But hey what a pleasure to drive around in a Porsche. :lol: :lol: :lol: I found that one out yesterday, so will take a look over the weekend and just see what the issue actually is. I'm getting annoyed that known manufacturing defects are being obviously dropped back onto the customer and are very expensive to fix for simple parts. But I do have an extensive car knowledge and know when they are taking the piss.
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

Not sure where you got with this one, but if you fit a none Porsche Tow bar you will definitely invalidate your warranty. No if's or buts

If you have an existing warranty it remains valid if you fit an aftermarket tow bar. The only issue you will have is if a warranty claim directly relates to an issue associated with the tow bar. I went through this with my OPC and they stated that the warranty would still cover an issue such transfer box failure with an aftermarket tow bar installed. As you found out though if I wanted t extend the warranty further I would need to remove the tow bar.

Porsche will not add extended warranty to a car with any deviations from standard such as hardwired dashcam or non N rated tyres. All such issues need to be sorted prior to the warranty being extended.
nick265sprint

Post by nick265sprint »

bobajob wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:06 pm
Not sure where you got with this one, but if you fit a none Porsche Tow bar you will definitely invalidate your warranty. No if's or buts

If you have an existing warranty it remains valid if you fit an aftermarket tow bar. The only issue you will have is if a warranty claim directly relates to an issue associated with the tow bar. I went through this with my OPC and they stated that the warranty would still cover an issue such transfer box failure with an aftermarket tow bar installed. As you found out though if I wanted t extend the warranty further I would need to remove the tow bar.

Porsche will not add extended warranty to a car with any deviations from standard such as hardwired dashcam or non N rated tyres. All such issues need to be sorted prior to the warranty being extended.
Did you get that in writing ? As if not sorry but I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them. Not a single reply has been in writing, everything has been word of mouth, even Porsche GB. I've been around too long to trust someone who won't follow this stuff up by putting it in writing, yes I did ask. Did manage to get the £2K quote for a towbar by suggesting I might consider it, so I've party got the fact that they will not put a warranty on my none Porsche one in writing.
Although I'm not for a minute suggesting that most of the time you'll be fine, but just if your gearbox fails, it's a handy get out !!!
stuckmojo

Post by stuckmojo »

I have been thinking about this. would one of those strap racks work for an MTB - in fact - E-Bike? Otherwise it's wheels off and I'll put it inside. OPC warranty is an absolute must for me.
2015 Macan S Diesel
1998 911 Carrera 2 Manual
2015 BMW M220i convertible
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide
Scaramanga

Post by Scaramanga »

The ones I checked (Eg. saris) were not suitable for the Macan unfortunately.