2020 Macan damaged camshaft

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Irvtheswerv

Post by Irvtheswerv »

Hi everyone newbie here looking for a bit of advice please. I used to post years ago on briskoda so have a bit of previous on forums.

My Girlfriend has bought an ex-demo 2020 plate Macan registered in Feb 20. Bought from a Porsche dealer in Sept, since when it’s done a few hundred miles, total mileage is about 7,000 and it’s less than a year old.

Warning light came on so it’s at the dealers, who is saying the camshaft is damaged, needs replacing along with valve lift solenoids. This to me seems like a catastrophic failure which could have caused untold damage to top of engine, valves/pistons etc.

I’ve done a search on the site but can’t find anything, I’d appreciate comments or being directed to other posts on such an issue I may have missed in my search.

Cheers

Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Under consumer law, you have to let them put it right. Worthwhile checking what the warranty is on the new parts provided.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Irvtheswerv wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:06 pm Hi everyone newbie here looking for a bit of advice please. I used to post years ago on briskoda so have a bit of previous on forums.

My Girlfriend has bought an ex-demo 2020 plate Macan registered in Feb 20. Bought from a Porsche dealer in Sept, since when it’s done a few hundred miles, total mileage is about 7,000 and it’s less than a year old.

Warning light came on so it’s at the dealers, who is saying the camshaft is damaged, needs replacing along with valve lift solenoids. This to me seems like a catastrophic failure which could have caused untold damage to top of engine, valves/pistons etc.
I think if this was the case you'd know about it. It's an unusual failure and I don't recall any previous posts on such an issue. Does the OPC give any reason for the cause?

The car is in the best place to get fixed properly and you have the balance of the manufacturer's warranty for peace of mind in the event that any ongoing issues might arise.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Irvtheswerv

Post by Irvtheswerv »

Well it’s in the dealers, it’ll have been there a month this Thursday. I’ll update with more info when I get the full details of what work has been carried out.
Irvtheswerv

Post by Irvtheswerv »

The latest on this is that Porsche are saying the car had damaged valves and camshaft, which they are claiming to have repaired. But now they are also saying it needs a replacement ECU so there will be a further delay.

It’s been at The Porsche dealer in Bolton for 7 weeks.
AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Which engine is it?
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
Irvtheswerv

Post by Irvtheswerv »

2.0 4 cylinder 240bhp.
RAA

Post by RAA »

It sounds like the car was thrashed whilst the engine was cold, when it was a demo model (?)
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Why would you need a new ECU for an upper engine rebuild? That doesn't make any sense to me .
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

I don't think you'll ever get the full truth out of the dealers. Mine went in for brake fluid change last year. After two hours waiting, the girl in reception came out and said, we're running late because the brakes have to be stripped down on this model, to bleed them. I said really? Then I went on to say, that next time she makes such a statement, make sure, she's not talking to an ex motor engineer. Plenty of back pedalling followed. :lol:

The camshaft does not make direct contact with the valves. It's either via a rocker, (old tech') or via a metal cup, with an hydraulic piston inside, (modern tech'), I think yours will be the latter. If both the cam and valves are damaged, it does make you think that there has been a slight coming together with the valves and pistons, only slightly, as previously mentioned, if so the noise would have been loud and noticeable.
My other Porsche, a 968, has variable cam timing. This is controlled by the ECU. Now if there is or has been a fault with the ECU, it may have caused the cam timing to go adrift, causing a coming together of valves and pistons. This is only a hypothasis.