Extended warranty

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Psmither

Post by Psmither »

My Macan will be 5y.o. in November. I have just had the transfer box replaced under warranty. Are there any other major issues that could be waiting for me? Is it worth further warranty extension (I had originally bought warranty extension because of the transfer box problem that seems so common)?

Guy

Post by Guy »

Psmither wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:52 am My Macan will be 5y.o. in November. I have just had the transfer box replaced under warranty. Are there any other major issues that could be waiting for me? Is it worth further warranty extension (I had originally bought warranty extension because of the transfer box problem that seems so common)?

Mine has just passed 5 years and I opted for another two year's warranty, despite new transfer box 2 years ago and new transfer fluid (service campaign) last week. The only other issue that I have experienced is a failed adblue pump, initially diagnosed as failed adblue sensor. I think others have experienced the same with their SDs, but am not sure how much that would cost to replace as a stand alone (non-warranty) fix.

I think £1440 is actually quite good value for two year's warranty extension on a Porsche!
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

mine is coming up four years and I had the sunroof replaced this year under the extended warranty. I should think that is a big ticket item that has a tendency to break as time goes on.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Guy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:12 pm
Psmither wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:52 am My Macan will be 5y.o. in November. I have just had the transfer box replaced under warranty. Are there any other major issues that could be waiting for me? Is it worth further warranty extension (I had originally bought warranty extension because of the transfer box problem that seems so common)?

Mine has just passed 5 years and I opted for another two year's warranty, despite new transfer box 2 years ago and new transfer fluid (service campaign) last week. The only other issue that I have experienced is a failed adblue pump, initially diagnosed as failed adblue sensor. I think others have experienced the same with their SDs, but am not sure how much that would cost to replace as a stand alone (non-warranty) fix.

I think £1440 is actually quite good value for two year's warranty extension on a Porsche!
Do you have further information on the transfer box fluid service campaign ?
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Guy

Post by Guy »

mark-yorkshire wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:12 pm Do you have further information on the transfer box fluid service campaign ?

Everything that I know is in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9997&start=10#p198991
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

One of the things you get with the extended warranty is the ability to have potential issues looked into. With no warranty, do you pay to have the garage investigate something that may turn out to be no issue at all?

For example, my 2015 SD has just been into the OPC to check out a groaning sound coming from the rear when turning slowly in either direction. The technician has confirmed that something is not right, could be PTV+, air suspension, brakes, but doesn't know what it is. The car is now booked in with a loan car for a week to investigate and fix.

I've no idea what this might cost without warranty but I don't like the idea of paying an open ended amount to investigate it with a possibly large bill to fix it at the end.
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Giz9 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:30 am One of the things you get with the extended warranty is the ability to have potential issues looked into. With no warranty, do you pay to have the garage investigate something that may turn out to be no issue at all?
Not sure this is strictly true. If its no issue you may end up being billed for the manpower

When my MacanSD went in for water ingress in the rear footwell the OPC called me for authorisation to carry out further investigation as they stated i would be billed if it was not a warranty issue even though it was 2 years old and filling with water!!!
Luckily the pano roof cassette mechanism was replaced under warranty.
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D