Is this the transfer box issue?

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
111rdw

Post by 111rdw »

Hi,

New to the Macan because we’ve only had it a week. 2017 GTS. I’ve noticed that the car will not pull off smoothly off our drive. You have to turn through 180 deg up a shallow slope to get to the road. And through this turn the car jerks and feels like a wheel grabs and then slips. Seems worse in reverse.

B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

That does sound very similar to ‘symptoms’ I experienced before my transfer box was replaced under warranty.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

If it only happens in reverse on full lock then it's something known as the Ackerman effect. Otherwise there are a number of threads on the forum covering this topic (just search "Transfer Box" which cover all possible symptom variations.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
111rdw

Post by 111rdw »

Thanks. Maybe the Ackerman effect but will try to get some input from the dealer. Seems our drive is designed to test it😁
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I had my second replacement transfer box last week, my car wouldn’t pull away smoothly in the cold, I felt like a bad gear change from first to second but it happened before second gear was engaged. Mine is barely four years old and 21k miles, the first box was changed last October at 14k miles.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

111rdw wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:25 pm Hi,

New to the Macan because we’ve only had it a week. 2017 GTS. I’ve noticed that the car will not pull off smoothly off our drive. You have to turn through 180 deg up a shallow slope to get to the road. And through this turn the car jerks and feels like a wheel grabs and then slips. Seems worse in reverse.
This is normal on RWD and 4wd cars with a lSD. My driveway sounds exactly the same as yours and both my SQ5 and now my Macan do exactly the same every time. It’s made worse by the fact everything is cold when you exit your drive, but shouldn’t be anything to worry about.

Years ago I did a drifting day at Knockhill and the race prepped drift cars were 100 times worse.....but they were ragged for hours day in day out with no issue. Still sounds and feels wrong, but just mechanicals working as designed!

If however you are feeling the same issue when gears change pulling away in a straight line....talk to your dealer, but if on almost full lock and going slowly, nothing unusual
Silver Macan SD (Daily)
Italian Racing Red Jaguar FType 5.0 V8 convertible (sunny day fun)
Red/Black Ariel Atom 3 300 (Very sunny day fun)
Silver/Red Mini Coupe JCW (4 curbed alloys - hers!)
Silver Suzuki Jimny (go everywhere fun!)
111rdw

Post by 111rdw »

Thanks Northnoble, very reassuring.
111rdw

Post by 111rdw »

Spoke to the OPC today. Want to see the car. Seemed to suggest it shouldn’t be doing this. Update on Friday.
111rdw

Post by 111rdw »

OPC cannot find anything wrong which is positive. Took a video of the car off the drive. You can see and hear the inside rear wheel momentarily losing traction. Looks like there isn’t enough droop on the rear suspension and it is unloaded enough for it to break traction. Not really an issue, just a surprise when it first happened.
jkwade

Post by jkwade »

Mine does the same. Off a gravel drive uphill the inside rear wheel skips.

On holiday last week going up a 1 in 3 hairpin it was proper skipping.

I believe it’s Ackerman as OPC have had it in before and not found any issues