Is this the transfer box issue?

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
111rdw

Post by 111rdw »

Good to know it’s not just mine.

bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

Kleynie wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:52 pm I had my second replacement transfer box last week, my car wouldn’t pull away smoothly in the cold, I felt like a bad gear change from first to second but it happened before second gear was engaged. Mine is barely four years old and 21k miles, the first box was changed last October at 14k miles.
What was the symptom when the car pulls away?
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

bbpxbbpx wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:28 pm
Kleynie wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:52 pm I had my second replacement transfer box last week, my car wouldn’t pull away smoothly in the cold, I felt like a bad gear change from first to second but it happened before second gear was engaged. Mine is barely four years old and 21k miles, the first box was changed last October at 14k miles.
What was the symptom when the car pulls away?
It’s a bit like drive train shunt or the clutch bouncing. It is doing it again now and it’s booked in for Feb 17th. Because two transfer boxes have not sorted the issue, I now think it’s the gearbox.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s not bad and sometimes does not misbehave at all, but it’s a niggle on an otherwise perfect car.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

Kleynie wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:37 pm It’s a bit like drive train shunt or the clutch bouncing. It is doing it again now and it’s booked in for Feb 17th. Because two transfer boxes have not sorted the issue, I now think it’s the gearbox.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s not bad and sometimes does not misbehave at all, but it’s a niggle on an otherwise perfect car.
Feels like a problem that I am having too, but because of the intermittent nature, multiple OPC looked at it and found nothing. Which one do you use?

Alternatively if I put my foot down on accelerator harder, the problem doesn't happen. I also think that it works fine if I switch to manual.

Please let us know what you find out.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
pmg

Post by pmg »

Trying to be logical, if the problem does not show in manual is it an issue in the software that controls the pdk's operation in auto or an issue with the physical device that transfers the software in instructions to the gearbox's clutches and shafts?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

My box was replaced just two months ago. It lasted for 4 years. Some of the noises will be just normal driving. But what showed mine was at fault, is when in a multi story car park, winding up the ramps and then reversing into a tight space. OMG, it was the worst noise ever, it was jumping, vibrating, and making an almighty noise. So much so, I thought it will not get me into the parking space. The thing is with our transmission systems, they are very much intelligent, with series of variable clutches within the drive line to decide where the power is to be sent.
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

pmg wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:31 pm Trying to be logical, if the problem does not show in manual is it an issue in the software that controls the pdk's operation in auto or an issue with the physical device that transfers the software in instructions to the gearbox's clutches and shafts?
Agree. Only started noticing this recently. Might ask them to check again on next service.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

bbpxbbpx wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:09 am
Kleynie wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:37 pm It’s a bit like drive train shunt or the clutch bouncing. It is doing it again now and it’s booked in for Feb 17th. Because two transfer boxes have not sorted the issue, I now think it’s the gearbox.
Feels like a problem that I am having too, but because of the intermittent nature, multiple OPC looked at it and found nothing. Which one do you use?

Alternatively if I put my foot down on accelerator harder, the problem doesn't happen. I also think that it works fine if I switch to manual.

Please let us know what you find out.
I think my problems started when the car had the 111 point check for extended warranty last year, they found a minute transmission oil leak from the gearbox. The OPC said the leak was so small it wouldnt be seen on the driveway, which it wasn’t, but at such low mileage they would ask Porsche to authorise a new gearbox. Porsche would not authorise a new gearbox, but did authorise a new gasket and the labour for repair. It was after this that the car felt different pulling away at slow speeds, however, it was so slight at first I left it for a few months before I mentioned it to the OPC. Now after two transfer boxes I still have the same issue, sometimes it’s like I’m a learner driver kangaroo’ing when pulling away. It’s better in sport and sport plus modes because I think it’s more aggressive, which hides the issue. If I drive like I stole it in normal mode, that also hides the issue.
So back it goes to the OPC in February for a few days to see if they can find a fix. Last time it was in the technician said he felt it, but changed the transfer box again, which changed nothing.

Here’s hoping.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
marcusjames

Post by marcusjames »

Hi

Did your issue get resolved? I'm having similar issues.

Thanks
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

marcusjames wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:52 pm Hi

Did your issue get resolved? I'm having similar issues.

Thanks
Well they changed the EGR valve in April and it seemed to be fine through the summer, I sold the car a few weeks ago so I cannot say what it is like in the colder weather, but it was fine up to that point.