2.0 TFSI - Cylinder 1 Pressure Too High fault

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
canberk

Post by canberk »

Hello,

I recently had my engine rebuilt. 4th cylinder was damaged severely due to a cracked spark plug dropping down some of its porcelain to the cylinder and destroying everything there. Make sure you replace your spark plugs on time and never re-use an old spark plug just because you get lazy to buy new ones.

When my indie shop told me that the engine will have to be rebuilt, I pushed the button to go stage 3 with her and did the following:

-Got Mahle forged pistons & rods (2.0 TFSI engine normally ships with 9.6 compression rate, but the Mahle pistons are 9.5
-Got a big intercooler
-Got AEM meth injection (not active now, as I did not tune the ECU yet)
-Got racing coils
-Ordered an IS38 turbo (not installed yet, waiting for me to fix the current issues first)
-Got the Alpha air filter from COBB.

Now, I have the following issue with my Macan. When I go hard on the engine flooring down the pedal, nothing is wrong, it revs all the way up to the red line and no faults whatsoever.

When I floor the pedal (NOT IN SPORT MODE), let go of it, and then floor again, and then let go (let it rev down by about 1500-2000rpm) and then floor again, I sense a rattling on the engine and check engine light goes on. The fault messages are as follows:

-P039B00 Cylinder 1 - pressure too high
-P03A500 Cylinder 2 - pressure too high
-P130A00 Cylinder shut-off

When I try to replicate the issue, I can only manage to get the Cylinder 1 to throw the pressure too high fault (along with cylinder shut off). Cylinder 2 did not do it again.

I am also noticing a louder valve noise when the engine is idling, almost like a diesel engine (TFSI engines always sounded like diesel, but this is slightly more noticeable, like you can hear the valves working, clearly)

So the million dollar question is, what could be the cause of this on a rebuilt engine with the above listed modifications?

Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Sounds like pinking or preigniting. This should normally be controlled by the engine management computer but possibly its getting confused by the modifications done to the engine.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
canberk

Post by canberk »

Yeah, I want to know which modification I currently applied may have caused it.

How do you think I can get rid of this issue?
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Have you got the cars ECU checked out for sensor faults? Modern engines have knock sensors so might be an issue with some of these and not your mods at all. Its all about electronics in modern cars so you need someone who can fully analyse what going on
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50