Slow speed whining noise

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Stevieman

Post by Stevieman »

Hi all,

Only done a few hundred miles in the 20 Macan S ( it has done 4500) but I’m noticing a rubbing, whining sound at slow speed, ie parking etc. It goes away ( or just can’t hear it) about 10-15 mph. It sounds like a compressor pump or steering pump belt sort of thing, rubbing or bearings grumbling . ( old school I know, it’s where my knowledge comes from :))

Any one experienced something similar, just before I go back to the OPC? I’ve read Google stories about transfer boxes and resonance issues, but this is happening a really slow speed, not 4K revs or in 5th gear etc. It does effect performance or anything, but I’m just worried it something that needs checking soon , before it gets to be an issue. I’m not doing many miles just now, so I’ll wait till after lockdown, but it would be good to get any advice from others.

It might just be a thing, that they do, and I’m being over sensitive, as I was very aware of tiny issues with the M2 as it kept causing me grief, and going back to the dealer.

Everything else with the Mac seems to have has been spot on
2020 Macan S
Z018 M2 (sold)
2016 M135i (sold)
2002 Boxster S (little project)

Stevieman

Post by Stevieman »

I hoping because there are no comments, that this isn’t a serious thing and maybe just a belt rubbing etc. And I can get it looked at after lockdown
2020 Macan S
Z018 M2 (sold)
2016 M135i (sold)
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

The Macan is a mechanically relatively quiet car (not the exhaust👀😃) and personally I wouldn’t be leaving a noise like that for later investigation. From your description it does not sound normal. hth and good luck
mrb608

Post by mrb608 »

I posted something similar a while back. I originally thought it was the discs rubbing, however after a couple of visits to the OPC they couldn't determine the problem and are now claiming it to be a characteristic of the car. Only occurs at 900rpm.
Stevieman

Post by Stevieman »

Yep, this is the same issue and the same solution given to me from Porsche. Only audible just above idle and when coasting during parking etc. Defo not tyres, but like worn or slipping belts, or binding discs sound, but can’t find either of those at fault. Doesn’t effect performance and is still present when fans, air con , sports mode and exhaust are on or off etc.
2020 Macan S
Z018 M2 (sold)
2016 M135i (sold)
Stevieman

Post by Stevieman »

Quick update on this, I know since posting it doesn’t seem to be a common problem, which is a good thing, although hasn’t stopped it being a pain to me :).

The most recent visit to the PEC has diagnosed the issue to a faulty exhaust vacuum valve which has now been ordered and will be fitted early next year.

If any others experience the same fault, let me know and I’ll post tgd parts numbers etc, as this was the 3rd PEC before they found what it was.
2020 Macan S
Z018 M2 (sold)
2016 M135i (sold)
Zadkiel

Post by Zadkiel »

Stevieman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:54 pm If any others experience the same fault, let me know and I’ll post tgd parts numbers etc, as this was the 3rd PEC before they found what it was.
Thanks for posting this solution - useful to know!.
Hope it gets sorted for you asap in the NY.
Macan S arrived May’22.
Met. Black, Burmester, Bordeaux ext. leather
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNKMKWC6
boer13

Post by boer13 »

Stevieman, did you get this issue resolved?

My '16 has makes a similar noise. Quite faint, not everyone hears it but my ears are tuned now and I can't miss it. Going faster is the only solution ATM.

thanks
'17 sd | agate grey & black | 20" | bi-xenon & pdls | pasm | adaptive cc | ldw |
'16 sd | sapphire blue & agate+pebble grey | 20" | bi-xenon & pdls | pasm | adaptive cc | ldw |
Stevieman

Post by Stevieman »

Hey,

No I didn’t, the exhaust valve was replaced, but that didn’t fix it.

Eventually it was put down as a characteristic of the car, this is now the 3rd dealer who have checked and finally concluded this.

It defo seems related to the exhaust, as I did have a ‘S’ loaner a couple of months ago and it sounded similar, though not a pronounced as mine and then a new Gts I had a go in, didn’t have it at all, with it having the different engine.

I now just learn to live with it.

It still triggers my OCD a bit tho, just not as much as it did.

I was also going to fit the performance air filters , so that I get more of the induction noise, to drown it out a bit 😉

Please let know if you ever get to the bottom it though.
2020 Macan S
Z018 M2 (sold)
2016 M135i (sold)
boer13

Post by boer13 »

Thanks.. sorry to hear it's still unresolved.

If I was to start a separate thread it would have a similar heading, so hope you don't mind me posting my issue here!

Maybe we can compare sheet music - here's a sound clip : https://www.dropbox.com/s/mq82ttykgc1sq ... l.mp4?dl=0 - recorded with a mobile phone inside the cabin with the windows closed, while decelerating from 20 - 0 mph. I hope the link works.

notes:
- Noise is soft enough to go unheard at motorway speed or with music at normal volume.
- Different passengers point in different directions.
- Doesn't happen while stationary.
- Doesn't change when changing gears.
- Doesn't change when shifting manually.
- 'Rotational' ie seems to speed up with higher speed, until it gets lost behind regular road & wind noise.
- This is on a '16 SD. This noise apart, it behaves, sounds and performs on par with our '17 SD.
- Odo at 88k. Bought this one recently as my daily runner. It behaved during the test drive (dealer was probably very relieved).. but noticed it the next day..
- PDK fluid was changed recently which made no change.

Any thoughts welcome.

Stevieman, how does it compare?
'17 sd | agate grey & black | 20" | bi-xenon & pdls | pasm | adaptive cc | ldw |
'16 sd | sapphire blue & agate+pebble grey | 20" | bi-xenon & pdls | pasm | adaptive cc | ldw |