Macan S engine drone between 1,350rpm-1,450rpm

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
jmgreen100

Post by jmgreen100 »

Thanks for the replies (thought I had replied earlier, but don't think it worked).

It's a Mar 2018 car so will be Gen 1. I've had a number of 6 cylinder engines but this drone doesn't sound anything like what I would expect from the exhaust.

Will be trying to get more info from OPC about faults. As you said [Connoisseur], not the experience that I had hoped for.
Garage
- 2018 Macan S (bought June 2021)
- 2013 981 Boxster (bought 2013)

oldpilot

Post by oldpilot »

Take a look at this:

viewtopic.php?p=134449#p134449
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

jmgreen100 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:35 pm
The second issue (and the one I'd really welcome some advice on) is that there seems to be a loud droning noise between 1,350-1,450rpm. Mostly noticeable in gears 5, 6, & 7, when going uphill (I guess because it holds in that rev range for longer). I can also feel some vibration in the floor, and slightly in the steering wheel.

The OPC had the car back after a couple of days and seem focussed on the oil leak, but I suspect they're not as focussed on the droning noise. I initially thought it was in my head, but it definitely isn't, and I haven't ever experienced anything like that in my Boxster - I know it's a totally different car, but it seems really odd to happen just in that 100rpm range.

Has anyone ever experienced this sort of thing? They did mention potentially the transfer case, but that the usual symptom for this is a knocking sound.

Really grateful for any advice.

Many thanks,
James.
If I recall correctly, in the early days of this forum (and I'm talking 2014/15) some members reported resonance in the S engine around the rev range you refer to. Resonance is where vibrations in the engine induce sympathetic vibrations (some of which may be in the audible range) elsewhere. My SD used to have very slight resonance at exactly 1200 rev/m but obviously the diesel engine is not the same as the petrol. The Gen 1 petrol 3L was a Porsche engine whereas the diesel was developed by Audi.

Transfer case problems usually show themselves at lower gears/speed combinations.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
jmgreen100

Post by jmgreen100 »

My car was returned yesterday with the oil leak fixed - I understand it was the gasket on the cam cover (not being mechanically minded, I'm not sure what that is :D ).

As for the droning noise, it's still there. The technician that I spoke to had driven a few other of their cars to compare and was happy it was nothing of concern. He compared it to being in the wrong gear and that the gearbox would 'learn' our driving style. I'll give it the benefit of doubt and see how things go for a while. I guess at the end of the day I have a 2 year warranty, so piece of mind if anything does develop.

I've sort of found a solution....press the sport button (which is mostly what I will do as soon as I get in). That keeps the revs higher and therefore no issue!

Thanks all for the advice along the way. The Macan is a wonderful car, and as I've read in many other posts, in a different league to other premium SUVs.
Garage
- 2018 Macan S (bought June 2021)
- 2013 981 Boxster (bought 2013)