Macan S engine drone between 1,350rpm-1,450rpm

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
jmgreen100

Post by jmgreen100 »

Hi,

I recently picked up my 3 year old Macan S from an OPC and unfortunately encountered a few problems immediately. When I got home (around 85 miles from OPC), there was smoke coming out of the wheel arches and a strong smell of burning. I opened the bonnet and it was rising from both sides of the engine. I'm definitely no mechanic, but it was clear even to me that there must be an oil leak somewhere. However, the OPC tried to convince me that it was just the cleaning products that they had used in preparing the vehicle for handover. They believed me when I sent photos of the oil slicks that appeared on my drive over the next couple of days.

The second issue (and the one I'd really welcome some advice on) is that there seems to be a loud droning noise between 1,350-1,450rpm. Mostly noticeable in gears 5, 6, & 7, when going uphill (I guess because it holds in that rev range for longer). I can also feel some vibration in the floor, and slightly in the steering wheel.

The OPC had the car back after a couple of days and seem focussed on the oil leak, but I suspect they're not as focussed on the droning noise. I initially thought it was in my head, but it definitely isn't, and I haven't ever experienced anything like that in my Boxster - I know it's a totally different car, but it seems really odd to happen just in that 100rpm range.

Has anyone ever experienced this sort of thing? They did mention potentially the transfer case, but that the usual symptom for this is a knocking sound.

Really grateful for any advice.

Many thanks,
James.
Garage
- 2018 Macan S (bought June 2021)
- 2013 981 Boxster (bought 2013)

AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Hi James,

Firstly, welcome to the forum, and congrats on your Macan S 👍

If you have a look at the following thread, you’ll see that I also noticed a droning noise when I first got my Macan S, and this thread may help with your query:-

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10369&hilit=Exhaust+drone

Cheers, Allan
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
jmgreen100

Post by jmgreen100 »

Thanks for the welcome Alan.

Did your drone cease as you put on more miles ? and was that from new?. Our car has just over 16k miles and is 3 years old.....just hoping I haven't bought a dud! I know it has 2 year warranty, but experience of first few days of ownership has got me worried.

Cheers,
James.
Garage
- 2018 Macan S (bought June 2021)
- 2013 981 Boxster (bought 2013)
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

I bought my S from an OPC, when it was 11 months old, with 6500 miles on it. I’ve since only added just under 2000 miles, and the drone seems to have reduced during this time, though I expect it’s more likely that I’ve got used to it 🤔, but it’s certainly more noticeable when the car is under load going uphill, but the noise isn’t too intrusive.

Anyway, I suggest sticking with your car, as I’m sure you haven’t bought a dud 👍
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

“ a loud droning noise between 1,350-1,450rpm. Mostly noticeable in gears 5, 6, & 7. I can also feel some vibration in the floor, and slightly in the steering wheel.”

Is the noise unpleasant, or is it part of the Porsche exhaust experience do you think? When I push on my Macan S will growl nicely.

In your position I would v quickly be requiring OPC to fix or reject. The Macan is expensive metal and you should not accept treatment like that from an OPC. Oil leak on delivery with smoke from engine is a big warning sign. I wouldn’t accept that from any Dealer/any car never mind Porsche.
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

ps whereabouts in UK are you? Can you get another owner to listen and comment?
pmg

Post by pmg »

James engine is a 2018 model Porsche Gen 1 original. Allan's is Gen 2 Audi. I am uncertain as to which Connoisser's is. However, the differences must be relevant to any issue?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Connoisseur

Post by Connoisseur »

Good point peg.

Mine is a 2017 Gen 1 so iirc same engine as OP….

hth
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

@pmg is quite correct in that my engine is the Audi V6 3.0 litre, which may indeed have different characteristics to the Gen 1 engine.
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
GWL

Post by GWL »

I'd hand it back. A 3 year old car with a large oil leak? What sort of 100+ point check has that OPC done I wonder?
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i