Sports Exhaust System Squeak

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Graemealg

Post by Graemealg »

I have a 2017 Macan GTS and I can hear a squeak from under the car. It mainly happens when driving off when the PDK changes from 1st to 2nd and also when I stop. It’s is also accompanied by slight lag in power when accelerating.

I took it to my local garage and they said it was a valve stuck in the Sports Exhaust System. They worked it and freed it with WD-40 and it was fine for 2 days but it has returned. I can hear the squeak clearly when I press the Sports Exhaust button on the console so seems like they were right.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this for good?

Thanks

Graeme

Deleted User 4439

Post by Deleted User 4439 »

Hi,

This is usually caused by too much tension in the spring that holds the valve closed. Either that or the actuator motor is failing.

As a first port of call try the following:

1) unplug the cable that goes to the exhaust actuator.
Graemealg

Post by Graemealg »

Hi,

Was there more to your reply? It looks like your comments were cut short after point #1.

Thanks

Graeme
Deleted User 4439

Post by Deleted User 4439 »

Graemealg wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:30 pm Hi,

Was there more to your reply? It looks like your comments were cut short after point #1.

Thanks

Graeme
Yes there was, it seems to have chopped off the rest.

2) Unscrew the exhaust valve motor (usually 3 screws). Once unscrewed spray wd40 and manually open and close the valve until it moves freely.

To be honest taking the car to an exhaust fitter would make this job much easier to allow easier access. I may be wrong here but I think the right muffler can be removed on its own.

The problem you are encountering is usually down to a build up of muck around the valve spindle.

I’ve had countless issues with valved exhausts on M cars, RS and AMG cars. I hate them!