TDI Tuning Box Concerns

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
MTUK

Post by MTUK »

I've been considering fitting on of these as I've used them in the past on other cars. However I'm concerned about using a tuning box on my SD Macan.

I've spoken with various electronic/engine management experts and apparently they can cause major problems. EGR, Manifold, Turbo, DPF problems. I like the idea of it but I fitted one to a leased 120d BMW and it caused problems when on the highest setting. The rear axle would judder at the top of the rev range.

I'm not convinced that the TDI boxes are safe in terms of not causing premature / lasting damage to the Audi V6

This Macan is a car I plan to keep for a long time and I think it's just best to live with the niggles of less power & flat spots. The car will learn & adapt to my driving style in any case.

I've a gut feeling the TDI Tuning Box will cause expansive damage & my SD has only 6K miles on it from new.

Thoughts?
Merc A200d - Macan SD - Audi TT - Golf GTD MK8

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

My thought, trade up to a petrol GTS or Turbo if the SD isn't enough. The possible risks from tinkering don't bear contemplating!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Porsche don't produce slow cars so no need for a tuning box :D :D :D
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

MTUK wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:32 pm I've been considering fitting on of these as I've used them in the past on other cars. However I'm concerned about using a tuning box on my SD Macan.

I've spoken with various electronic/engine management experts and apparently they can cause major problems. EGR, Manifold, Turbo, DPF problems. I like the idea of it but I fitted one to a leased 120d BMW and it caused problems when on the highest setting. The rear axle would judder at the top of the rev range.

I'm not convinced that the TDI boxes are safe in terms of not causing premature / lasting damage to the Audi V6

This Macan is a car I plan to keep for a long time and I think it's just best to live with the niggles of less power & flat spots. The car will learn & adapt to my driving style in any case.

I've a gut feeling the TDI Tuning Box will cause expansive damage & my SD has only 6K miles on it from new.

Thoughts?

With your concerns expressed above, I think you’ve answered your own question. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Over the years i've only fitted two tuning boxes - one on a Mk6 Golf diesel from almost new - i had a high pressure fuel pump failure, but was able to remove the box roadside before recovery arrived - whether the box was a contributor i can't say for sure, but the failure happened on light throttle on a level road so was hardly stressed. Despite the purchase price it was a pretty simple affair that plugged into the fuel rail, so even with all the settings available all it did was fool the ecu to varying degrees. I ran it for 30k miles of the 50k miles i did in the car. I then swapped the box on to the same engined Audi A3 for a further 15k miles.

Second box was another DTUK one of the same type, fuel rail connection only, no turbo connection - fitted to a Mini Countryman SD it gave noticeable power improvements without going wild with the settings - gave no issues in the 15k miles it was fitted. I removed it for MINI service visit, then didnt bother refitting - yes i lost a bit of responsiveness / power but i soon got used to the stock car again and my commute was such that i spent a lot of the miles at steady speed

Would i fit one again - on a cheaper car maybe, but certainly wouldnt put one on a Macan - its not lacking in power so why risk any longevity issues
MTUK

Post by MTUK »

Percymon wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:07 am Over the years i've only fitted two tuning boxes - one on a Mk6 Golf diesel from almost new - i had a high pressure fuel pump failure, but was able to remove the box roadside before recovery arrived - whether the box was a contributor i can't say for sure, but the failure happened on light throttle on a level road so was hardly stressed. Despite the purchase price it was a pretty simple affair that plugged into the fuel rail, so even with all the settings available all it did was fool the ecu to varying degrees. I ran it for 30k miles of the 50k miles i did in the car. I then swapped the box on to the same engined Audi A3 for a further 15k miles.

Second box was another DTUK one of the same type, fuel rail connection only, no turbo connection - fitted to a Mini Countryman SD it gave noticeable power improvements without going wild with the settings - gave no issues in the 35k miles it was fitted.

Would i fit one again - on a cheaper car maybe, but certainly wouldnt put one on a Macan - its not lacking in power so why risk any longevity issues
That's the same type of box I fitted to a 2013 Audi A4 Avant and a 2015 1 Series. Impressive but as you say.... too risky on a Macan, in my opinion. I'll leave it standard.
Ti Rich

Post by Ti Rich »

Here is my take having used a TDi Box.

I fitted it, it takes about 10 mins to fit, and it worked fine for about 5 months. Yes, it made a significant difference to the way the car pulls. Real MPG was 1 MPG worse, forget what the trip computer says as it will be about 11% optimistic. Before the car went back to Porsche for a service I checked for error codes and cleared them. I also removed the TDi Box.

When the car came back from service I refitted the box but it would not work giving a sensor short circuit error. TDi were very helpful and supplied two new wiring looms but it still would not work and gave the same error straight away. They also sent me a brand new uprated tuning box which I have not tried and is now for sale on eBay. Although it should not be possible it would appear that Porsche knew a box and had been fitted and somehow blocked it from working again. However, I can't prove this.

So if under a warranty I would not fit one again.

I got the car at 3 years and 20K miles and it was quite hesitant - it didn't pick up well away from junctions. Maybe the car had done short trips and the EGR was blocked. This is why I got the TDi box. However, a few doses of Archoil AR6400-D worked miracles and now the car runs as it should.

I have fitted a BMC Air Filter (As used by Porsche on some models) and also done the infamous intake mod. This has made the pick-up better again and the car pulls really strong. No doubt it would pull even harder with the Tuning Box on as well but the way the car now runs I just don't feel the need for it.
2017 Macan S D, 21" Classics, PASAM, Black Exhausts, Heated seats / Steering Wheel, Nav, Park Assist.
MTUK

Post by MTUK »

Ti Rich wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:41 pm Here is my take having used a TDi Box.

I fitted it, it takes about 10 mins to fit, and it worked fine for about 5 months. Yes, it made a significant difference to the way the car pulls. Real MPG was 1 MPG worse, forget what the trip computer says as it will be about 11% optimistic. Before the car went back to Porsche for a service I checked for error codes and cleared them. I also removed the TDi Box.

When the car came back from service I refitted the box but it would not work giving a sensor short circuit error. TDi were very helpful and supplied two new wiring looms but it still would not work and gave the same error straight away. They also sent me a brand new uprated tuning box which I have not tried and is now for sale on eBay. Although it should not be possible it would appear that Porsche knew a box and had been fitted and somehow blocked it from working again. However, I can't prove this.

So if under a warranty I would not fit one again.

I got the car at 3 years and 20K miles and it was quite hesitant - it didn't pick up well away from junctions. Maybe the car had done short trips and the EGR was blocked. This is why I got the TDi box. However, a few doses of Archoil AR6400-D worked miracles and now the car runs as it should.

I have fitted a BMC Air Filter (As used by Porsche on some models) and also done the infamous intake mod. This has made the pick-up better again and the car pulls really strong. No doubt it would pull even harder with the Tuning Box on as well but the way the car now runs I just don't feel the need for it.
Interesting .... Thanks for your input. My 2017 SD seems to be loosening up now I've been driving it & covered 700 miles. I'll definitely be leaving the TDI box. I bought it but never got round to fitting it so sent it back for a refund. Very odd how the could detect a box had been fitted
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

They aren’t proper maps they just adjust certain parameters to make it faster but not in a good way - I wouldn’t do it on any car

If you have to, get a remap but wave goodbye to any warranty you have
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
pmg

Post by pmg »

Ti Rich wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:41 pm

There's another possibility and that is an update for emission control purposes makes a software change that stops any tuning box working. In times of tight emission control and approval of vehicles in such matters, I have always thought it inconsistent with such provisions to allow non-standard vehicle tuning
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8