Using a trolley jack MY16 Macan S Diesel

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Retired

Post by Retired »

This is a picture from the 911design site, looks a bit different:

Jacking Plate, Jacking Trolley Plate for most Porsche models

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Have happily used a trolley jack on previous MB,BMW and Audi to change wheels using a 'Jack Pad Adapter'. Flat bottom surface to sit on the jack and a top surface shaped to fit into the jacking point.

Trouble is I can't find such an item for a Macan.

Got the jack pads from:

http://www.reverselogic.us/jack-pads.html

Beautifully made things.

They certainly look nicely engineered and would seem to address Colin's concerns over using a trolley jack on the sill jacking point. It would leave other suitable support locations free for axle stands too.

Nuclear Nick2016-04-09 12:30:15
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

This is a picture from the 911design site, looks a bit different:

Jacking Plate, Jacking Trolley Plate for most Porsche models

Apparently these Porsche adaptors have been around for some time. The vehicle must be stabilised by the central pillar in the jacking point hole and the load is taken by the padded circular body of the adapter. Can you take an iPhone (selfy mode) photo of a jacking point on your Macan?
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
Retired

Post by Retired »

Macan Jacking Point. Same as Cayenne? Looks like it.

Retired2016-04-09 12:29:45
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

It certainly looks the same. I would happily use the Porsche (trolley) jack adaptor to lift a
Macan.
Another conideration is air suspension and the need to switch off self levelling before jacking up the car.
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
steve_m

Post by steve_m »

Thanks for everyone's comments, and I wasn't being slow to respond, i thought the website notified me when my post got a comment or update, guess I'm not as tech savvy as I thought!

I spoke with the Design 911 UK guys, they haven't tried it on a Macan but thought it would be fine. I then got on the floor with the iPhone to take a picture. I will try the Design 911 item as it has the circular notch which I hadn't realised. All other comments and advice on use of axle stands etc. are valid and appreciated.
Thanks
Steve
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

I have used that type of jack adaptor. Just take careful when lining up the centre post, it is solid metal, and if it is slightly mis-aligned then it may scrape the side of the locating hole and may cause damage.
Ask me how I know Cry (on an older Porsche)
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Sim_Nugget

Post by Sim_Nugget »

The BMW and Mini we have use plastic jack points that look kind of similar. I made the mistake of just dumping the trolley jack on them and destroyed them. There is an adaptor available http://www.i6automotive.co.uk/bmw-rubber-jacking-pad-adapter/

While it doesn't have the little seating nodule, it looks pretty similar - let me go and see if the BMW one fits at lunchtime and I will report back.

S
2017 Turbo - Night Blue / Expresso
BMW M2
Retired

Post by Retired »

I have one of these:

R50 and E88 Jack Pad Tool

from Racelogic.

Designed for a BMW 5 Series. Just went outside and it fits, albeit loosely with a bit of a clearance both end to end and laterally, into the jacking point quite well. Once you have the jack holding it in place don't see that there would be any problem.

Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

I also already have a BMW adaptor, will try that when mine arrives.
GTS \o/ - sold :(