Using a trolley jack MY16 Macan S Diesel

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
steve_m

Post by steve_m »

Hi
New to both Porsche and the forum so if I am in the wrong place, be gentle with me! Had the Macan since September 15. I'd like to get the wheels of and get the winter crud off the inside and then put some Auto Finesse stuff on that supposedly protects the alloys. I am "garage competent" so looked for jacking points so that I could get the trolley jack under. Found the jacking points but they are covered in plastic. After a bit of Googling, I put the jack away and decided to hang fire. Consensus seems to be that you need a bit of rubber akin to a hockey puck (it was an American site!) that sits between the plastic and the jack head. Seems a bit of a bodge so thought I'd ask the UK community. What does anyone else do to jack up a Macan that only has a trolley jack?
Thanks
Steve

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Hi Steve

Hello and welcome from one newbie to another!

It's a shame you haven't had a response to your question. I'm with you on the DIY side, I swap winter wheels and tyres on two cars so I understand your caution when it comes to jacking the thing up.

Only an observation, but had your question been one of colour choice, which size wheels look best or whether you should choose the pano roof option, this thread would be 20+ pages by now!

I hope you've found an answer elsewhere.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
goron59

Post by goron59 »

There's a lovely diagram in the GtK manual describing the jacking up process.
Seems to be for the purpose of changing one wheel only.

I've not looked at mine, but I imagine it's quite different to the manual, as indeed, most things are :)

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
wilko

Post by wilko »

If it's anything like other Porsches, there'll be 2 marks on the outer sill, like little arrows. Under the sill I at those points is a strengthened section that you can use a trolley jack under. But I don't have my Macan yet so I can't tell you for sure, but you can download the good to know manual.
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Guess you have checked the manual for the jacking points, most cars have indents in the sill but you will need to get some jack stands under in a secure point. There is a very thorough description on tackling jacking on you tube, check out Eric the car guy.com, hope this helps
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

That's, EricTheCarGuy.com

Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

There's some useful stuff here:

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/wheels-tires-suspension/38497-putting-macan-4-jack-stands.html

and here:

http://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cayenne-forum/109174-jacking-and-jack-stands.html

although some of it is Cayenne related but the principles should apply.

A Google image search for Macan jacking points also throws up some usable info.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Hi
New to both Porsche and the forum so if I am in the wrong place, be gentle with me! Had the Macan since September 15. I'd like to get the wheels of and get the winter crud off the inside and then put some Auto Finesse stuff on that supposedly protects the alloys. I am "garage competent" so looked for jacking points so that I could get the trolley jack under. Found the jacking points but they are covered in plastic. After a bit of Googling, I put the jack away and decided to hang fire. Consensus seems to be that you need a bit of rubber akin to a hockey puck (it was an American site!) that sits between the plastic and the jack head. Seems a bit of a bodge so thought I'd ask the UK community. What does anyone else do to jack up a Macan that only has a trolley jack?
Thanks
Steve

I haven't got my Macan yet or even looked underneath one yet, but I do drive a poor mans Cayenne, a Touageg, which is identical underneath as far a jacking points are concerned. My jacking points are also covered in plastic, which is there I believe to stop the metal sill / jacking point being damaged by metal jack saddles. I have swapped wheels a few times now and simply just put the jack below the plastic cover and lift away. Never have had an issues and the plastic shows no ill effects after either. Just be sure your jacks up to the weight as even the lighter Macan is no VW polo.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

Hi Steve
There is a Porsche Jack adaptor available from Design 911UK for use on all modern Porsches. The Macan isn't listed, but that could be because it is a new model. They will tell you if it can be used on your P & J.

Mistertoad2016-04-09 09:54:33
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I haven't got my Macan yet or even looked underneath one yet, but I do drive a poor mans Cayenne, a Touageg, which is identical underneath as far a jacking points are concerned. My jacking points are also covered in plastic, which is there I believe to stop the metal sill / jacking point being damaged by metal jack saddles. I have swapped wheels a few times now and simply just put the jack below the plastic cover and lift away. Never have had an issues and the plastic shows no ill effects after either. Just be sure your jacks up to the weight as even the lighter Macan is no VW polo.

Do you use a trolley jack, and if so what type of saddle does it have? I've seen on the US site a saddle with a flat plate and a thick, grooved rubber pad riveted to it. Looks handy for avoiding damage. But from what you say it seems Porsche have thought of that and provided the plastic 'guards'.

Do you do one wheel at a time using the trolley jack or do you jack the whole vehicle up on axle stands. If so, where do you place the axle stands?

Nuclear Nick2016-04-09 09:40:27
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold