Impressive MPG!!

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Caster

Post by Caster »

Can't grumble today in my SD......280 miles of mainly motorway/A road driving (plus a couple of cities) at 63 mph average and 40.2 mpg.

Who said English roads are bad !
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

That's better than I got from my Peugeot 208 hire car yesterday, Caster! Very similar distance on a return trip from Swindon to Canterbury, nearly all motorway and dual carriageway. It's a 1.2 litre petrol. A slightly different experience to my drive to Kent in the £100k Panamera 4SD on Wednesday!
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Can't grumble today in my SD......280 miles of mainly motorway/A road driving (plus a couple of cities) at 63 mph average and 40.2 mpg.

Who said English roads are bad !

This is probably the best mpg I'll ever see from a Porsche I own, on a 300
mile round trip incl many miles south on the M1 (Nottingham to
Northampton) at mostly 50. Not a pleasant drive at all on
A47/A17/M1/A45/A14/A11 on a Friday. 300 mile avge dropped to 39, but still OK. The effort was worth it, collected a set of 19"
classics, looking good on my car imo. There's more range in my tank at 3/4 full than I'll see on full tank in any of the petrol cars, changing to an S in March, so will learn to live with range anxiety.

Bigboyrolo2016-12-18 11:49:54
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

All this talk of SDs and mpg. What are people getting from that rare breed, the petrol S? I'm getting about 24 pottering about town from cold and high 20s to low 30s on a mixed motorway - A road trip.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
johnd

Post by johnd »

I average only 35 in my SD, so probably 32ish in reality - love the sports setting and sports exhaust!

That certainly tallies with what I see for my SD - typically 35mpg indicated but real-life 32 - see:

A mixture of short to medium length (30-50 miles) journeys, only occasional use of Sport, but mostly on ruralish, often twisty, but quite heavily trafficked roads so not too much opportunity for steady cruising, at least not for more than 2-3 miles at a time.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
JKNHants

Post by JKNHants »

That's a tad better than us Dan - where my Petrol S regularly shows 23+ actual trip readings produce just under 23 on a tank-full no matter what. Mostly town stuff but even m/way not much better. Not at all concerning for such a car of this size, but the tank range (effectively 300 miles)could be more convenient.
Petrol S delivered Apr 16
adrian991

Post by adrian991 »

This is a Porsche forum right?
So amazing MPG is not exactly why you buy one of these machines.
As Simon (WingCo) will testify when you take part in a Register Run organised by the 991 Register of the Porsche Club GB achieving over 20 mpg in a 911 usually means you lost the convoy😠 As for the Macan, in the Register Drives with a GTS you would be averaging arounfd 18 mpg and in a Diesel about 25mpg. 👍

Well having said all the above these cars can achieve impressive economy even if the available performance is used.
In 2015, I took my 911 (991) GTS (now sold) on a Porsche GB Club trip to the factories in Germany, the first half of the journey was in rain and generally awful conditions but at lunchtime things improved so the drive from Bamberg (where we refuelled half way between Leipzig and Stuttgart) covered the last 142 miles to the hotel car park in 1 hour and 12 minutes, that's an average of just under 120mph, mostly Autobahn followed by a crawl in the Stuttgart rush hour for 10 minutes. However given the cruising speed which was up around 120 mph maxing out somewhere on the route at just over 140, I thought the 26.6 MPG was rather impressive for the 911 given the speeds Thumbs Up and this result was for the full 280 miles. A typical safe range was 350 miles although on that day we were just under 300 hence the refuel half way. It's actually quite difficult to go at really high speeds on the Autobahn due to the trafficEmbarrassed

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Courtesy of Tewkesbury OPC we had the pleasure of a Cayman/Boxster day to and around Abergavenny a few weeks ago. Led by a 911 keeping up was challenging at times and fun - extreme fun! Running in a Cayman S for a period and seriously pushing on in full Sports+ mode it was returning about 24. Was most impressed and thought it was a testament to what these beauties are all about.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

This is a Porsche forum right?
So amazing MPG is not exactly why you buy one of these machines.
As Simon (WingCo) will testify when you take part in a Register Run organised by the 991 Register of the Porsche Club GB achieving over 20 mpg in a 911 usually means you lost the convoy😠 As for the Macan, in the Register Drives with a GTS you would be averaging arounfd 18 mpg and in a Diesel about 25mpg. 👍

Well having said all the above these cars can achieve impressive economy even if the available performance is used.
In 2015, I took my 911 (991) GTS (now sold) on a Porsche GB Club trip to the factories in Germany, the first half of the journey was in rain and generally awful conditions but at lunchtime things improved so the drive from Bamberg (where we refuelled half way between Leipzig and Stuttgart) covered the last 142 miles to the hotel car park in 1 hour and 12 minutes, that's an average of just under 120mph, mostly Autobahn followed by a crawl in the Stuttgart rush hour for 10 minutes. However given the cruising speed which was up around 120 mph maxing out somewhere on the route at just over 140, I thought the 26.6 MPG was rather impressive for the 911 given the speeds Thumbs Up and this result was for the full 280 miles. A typical safe range was 350 miles although on that day we were just under 300 hence the refuel half way. It's actually quite difficult to go at really high speeds on the Autobahn due to the trafficEmbarrassed

Well, I agree with adrian991 and think it is worth putting things in perspective.

My 911 (991.2) which has now covered about 3300miles, returns about 35mpg when steadily cruising on the motorway at the legal limit Smile.
Driving round A roads but at a steady pace, it drops to about 24mpg.
Around town with stop/start, it's low 20's.
My driving style, while not burning tyres at traffic lights, is not sedate.

As has already been said by several people, I did not even consider fuel consumption when I went to a 911 - initially I was all set to get either a petrol or turbo Macan, and even then, I was not thinking of mpg's.
In all this, I am not so much pleased, but surprised and impressed by the consumption given the power on tap.