Oil temperature

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

As above, water temp 90 ish most of the time, oil mid to high 90s on the open road and over 100 in trafic. (GTS, so I guess a valid comparison)

+1. My previous SD ran similar numbers.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Bring back gauges with a "red zone" Big smile
Phill

Post by Phill »

....and now that you are all observing your oil temperature you promise not to cane it till it is fully warmed up...yes
Paul

Post by Paul »

I try very hard to keep it under 3000 rpm until it's at least up to 70 or so (honest!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

Thanks all, looks like we all have similar temperatures. As mentioned, best not to give it full welly until the oil temperature is up to around full working temperature, which talks a lot longer to get there than the water temperature.
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
Daman

Post by Daman »

Thanks all, looks like we all have similar temperatures. As mentioned, best not to give it full welly until the oil temperature is up to around full working temperature, which talks a lot longer to get there than the water temperature.
I'm surprised how quickly the oil in my Macan GTS gets up to temperature.
My Cayman GTS takes at least 15 mins to show 90 degrees and much restraint is required
VanB

Post by VanB »

Macan GTS takes very little time to get up to temperature compared to a Cayman. I'm no engineer but maybe the difference between a V6 and flat 6?
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
arcamalpha

Post by arcamalpha »

Macan GTS takes very little time to get up to temperature compared to a Cayman.  I'm no engineer but maybe the difference between a V6 and flat 6?

I've noticed this too - particularly with the water temp. I doubt it's due to thr cylinder layout and my guess is that it has vavles to conpletely bypass radiators etc whilst warming up. On the water I'd go as far as to say it might even have an electric heater given the rate the numbers climb!

Anyone know the cooland and oil capacity?
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Macan GTS takes very little time to get up to temperature compared to a Cayman.  I'm no engineer but maybe the difference between a V6 and flat 6?

I've noticed this too - particularly with the water temp. I doubt it's due to thr cylinder layout and my guess is that it has vavles to conpletely bypass radiators etc whilst warming up. On the water I'd go as far as to say it might even have an electric heater given the rate the numbers climb!

The V8 in the 928 is certainly a bypass system, the coolant is circulated around the block only when cold and the thermostat then diverts coolant through the rad when hot. One side effect of this is that if you remove the thermostat the engine will overheat, unlike conventional layouts.

Al alloy blocks have less heat capacity but I'd assumed the Cayman has an alloy engine

Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
happy days

Post by happy days »

I've noticed on both our cars that the temperatures climb really quickly, especially water temperature. Also, the 718 (my daily driver) seems to retain its heat well throughout the day. I drive 7.2 miles from home to office, mostly on dual carriageway, then it sits outside until about 4 when I go home; the temperature always seems to be in the mid 30s on both oil and water having sat since 9.00. Strange.
Macan S D
718 S