Oil temperature

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Bring back gauges with a "red zone" Big smile

The graphics in the MFD do have a red zone. Probably find you get all sorts of alarms as well.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Bring back gauges with a "red zone" Big smile

The graphics in the MFD do have a red zone. Probably find you get all sorts of alarms as well.

Will have a look - thanks.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Macan GTS takes very little time to get up to temperature compared to a Cayman. I'm no engineer but maybe the difference between a V6 and flat 6?

I've noticed this too - particularly with the water temp. I doubt it's due to thr cylinder layout and my guess is that it has vavles to conpletely bypass radiators etc whilst warming up. On the water I'd go as far as to say it might even have an electric heater given the rate the numbers climb!

The V8 in the 928 is certainly a bypass system, the coolant is circulated around the block only when cold and the thermostat then diverts coolant through the rad when hot. One side effect of this is that if you remove the thermostat the engine will overheat, unlike conventional layouts.

Al alloy blocks have less heat capacity but I'd assumed the Cayman has an alloy engine

To the best of my knowledge, all water cooled engines (not just Porsche) have a thermostatically controlled cooling system. When cold the coolant circulates around the block and once warm the thermostat opens and coolant flows via the radiator as well (also via the heating system radiator). The thermostat varies the amount by which it opens to maintain a constant temperature (usually 90 degrees). If things get really hot then the fan starts up. That has only happened on my SD when shut down after a long run.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Third stage

Post by Third stage »

The Macan also has Active grill shutters which not only help with a quick warm up but aid aerodynamics which intern helps fuel economy.

Also from the sales brochure :

The radiator grille shutter opens the air intake flaps only as needed. Whenever the cooling requirement is low, such as on relaxed drives, the radiator grille shutter closes. If a sporty driving style is adopted and the demand for power increases, the air intake flaps will;l open and let in the necessary amount of cooling air for increased driving performance.
jetbox

Post by jetbox »

Also try the car in sport mode.

The oil temperature reading will be lower in sport. The ECR controls this, higher oil temp for economy in normal mode and then it lowers the oil temp for sport mode for maximum performance.

Check it out, it's about a 10degree difference
happy days

Post by happy days »

Also try the car in sport mode.

The oil temperature reading will be lower in sport. The ECR controls this, higher oil temp for economy in normal mode and then it lowers the oil temp for sport mode for maximum performance.

Check it out, it's about a 10degree difference

Really? Must have a look! I have a 70 mile motorway journey this morning and I use CC all the time. It'll be interesting to see this in action.
Macan S D
718 S
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Yes, it's true. Was pointed out quite some time ago. Funny how things keep popping up on here.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Paul

Post by Paul »

Confirmed (again) this am......a shade over 100 (102 -104) in comfort, and low 90's in sport.
Same as my SD.......
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
VanB

Post by VanB »

This was the same in the Cayman
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
happy days

Post by happy days »

Ok, just back from 150 miles round trip on a motorway. Oil temp constant 104 - 106 degrees. The only time it dropped a bit was coasting downhill in 7th in a tunnel - dropped to 100 deg, then back up again climbing out of it.

I did 10 miles in normal, 10 miles in sport the whole way. I saw no difference between sport and normal in cruise mode. Maybe this is in petrol cars only?
Macan S D
718 S