Transfer Box Replacement

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
spook

Post by spook »

RichardE wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:13 am My 3 year and 3 month old Turbo has started to judder under light acceleration and Sheffield OPC has told me the transfer box needs replacing at an estimated cost of £2k.....

As it is out of warranty I will have to pay - which is bit annoying to say the least as the car has done only 14.5k miles !!

Has anybody managed to get a goodwill replacement ?
Before I comment can I please ask a question. Was your Turbo initially purchased with a 2 year warranty and the option then was to buy the 3rd or after the price increase which then included the 3rd year as standard, or was it the "old" standard 2 year and did you buy the 3rd?

I can't remember exactly which year the the initial warranty was extended ( from 2 to 3) all I can remember is was during my wait !!!
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(

Guy

Post by Guy »

spook wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:46 pm I can't remember exactly which year the the initial warranty was extended ( from 2 to 3) all I can remember is was during my wait !!!

1 Feb 15, according to this: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1238&p=20296#p20296
Salty

Post by Salty »

OPC Newcastle returned my wife’s Macan after 10 days. They replaced both front drive shafts at a quoted cost of £2645.80 inc parts labour and VAT. At my request they had contacted Porsche UK who said that the majority of the cost would be covered by them. I therefore paid £500.
The replacement of the drive shafts appears to have rectified the problem.
I have decided not to change the Macan for a GTS just yet as I think a face lifted version may not be too far away. Looking at the new Panamera there are some significant improvements to the technology such as “command cockpit” which may bring them into line with other manufacturers. Having recently had a test drive in a Velar it was way ahead with useful features such as heated front screen,gesture tailgate,remote pre heating etc.
I also decided to keep my 2014 Aqua Blue Boxster S as changing to a new fully specced up Boxster GTS would cost me about £41000.
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
White Macan S Petrol, (sold)
Rhodium Silver metallic Macan GTS (sold)
Aqua Blue 981 Boxster S (sold)
Midnight Blue 718 Boxster GTS (sold)
GT metallic silver 911 992 Carrera S (sold)
Carmine Red Boxster 981 GTS
johnd

Post by johnd »

Salty wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:17 am gesture tailgate....

??? Is that a screen showing emojis to thank/insult the driver you've just sped past?
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Salty wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:17 am I also decided to keep my 2014 Aqua Blue Boxster S as changing to a new fully specced up Boxster GTS would cost me about £41000.

Good news on your drive shafts. 👍. Would be good to see pics of your Aqua Blue Boxster S 😎
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
CharlieKellas

Post by CharlieKellas »

I'm another transfer box casualty on a Turbo, 3 years and 6 months old with 26k on clock. Hadn't taken extended warranty as running Japanese performance cars for 20+ years without them missing a beat (and harder driven than the Macan has been) I'd put my faith in German engineering. Should have read the forums to see how common this was before going to OPC. My stance of this likely to be my first and last Porsche illicited a goodwill deal for free parts leaving me with labour of circa £500. Or at least I'd thought it was my 'what will you do to keep me in brand' stance, but now see it's a known issue that the OPC and Porsche are at least dealing with appropriately even if there was no 'fessing up that this was just more of the same.
Had been thinking about replacing with the new 2.9 V6 Turbo but not so sure now if it's likely to be a repeat issue. Same engine in new RS4 which is also on my list but will be asking about transfer box before test drive!
J88

Post by J88 »

Seems I am another casualty for a transmission box replacement. MY 2014 - 32655 miles . Macan S diesel.

On recent drives it has felt as if the front wheels were running over a "ribbed" road and the rears were on a smooth road. Also as if the fronts were scrabbling for grip?
The All wheel gauge seemed to indicate drive to the front and rears.

Also seemed to manoeuvre oddly when first out of the garage? a high number of revs required for reverse to move the car?

Cannot say I am impressed, I thought I was buying engineering quality, this issue seems to occur throughout the range.
I may have read this box is in the 911?? I would be less impressed if I had this issue in a 100K car.

car is booked in with the dealer. who suggest this is a rare occurrence!

regards,
J88
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

J88 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:10 pm Seems I am another casualty for a transmission box replacement. MY 2014 - 32655 miles . Macan S diesel.

On recent drives it has felt as if the front wheels were running over a "ribbed" road and the rears were on a smooth road. Also as if the fronts were scrabbling for grip?
The All wheel gauge seemed to indicate drive to the front and rears.

Also seemed to manoeuvre oddly when first out of the garage? a high number of revs required for reverse to move the car?

Cannot say I am impressed, I thought I was buying engineering quality, this issue seems to occur throughout the range.
I may have read this box is in the 911?? I would be less impressed if I had this issue in a 100K car.

car is booked in with the dealer. who suggest this is a rare occurrence!

regards,
J88
Almost identical mileage to my SD when the transfer box started playing up badly. Sadly I was in France at the time and it took over a month to get my car back. Porsche assistance were diabolical and at one stage I was offered a Fiat Panda to drive home from South West France to Scotland !!
I asked Porsche customer services if it was normal for a customers car to take a month to be returned and the guy said " it has been known". I asked about warranty on the new transfer box, expecting a reply of at least 2 years, 3 months is all they give which doesn't fill me with hope.
I'm also not impressed as Porsche seem to be quite happily selling vehicles with known faults, I've driven BMW's to over 3 times the mileage and had zero problems, I really like my Macan but know I'll not be buying another Porsche.
Hope you get yours sorted quickly.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

J88 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:10 pm Seems I am another casualty for a transmission box replacement. MY 2014 - 32655 miles . Macan S

regards,
J88
I'm very glad its not in my 911 then
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Rab J wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:42 pm I'm very glad its not in my 911 then

+1, Rab.

Sorry to hear of these problems, Andy and J88. :(