Transfer Box Replacement

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

So we would assume that ‘A’ is a revision and X means that they need your old box back for exchange.....
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8

Paul

Post by Paul »

CharlesElliott wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:10 pm So we would assume that ‘A’ is a revision and X means that they need your old box back for exchange.....
👍
Makes sense....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Crazy diamond wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:06 pm I feel for all those that have had transfer box replacements. However, the onus to fix must surely be on Porsche? Why haven't they issued a recall? Why do so many people feel that £1500 to extend a warranty to cover a t /box failure is the way forward? Yes I am a Porsche fan but just because the majority of us can afford the warranty, surely this is not good or fair practice. Manufacturing something which is not fit for purpose and then getting customers to insure against its failure, is not on. Transfer boxes shoukd not fail under 100,000 miles of use and to accept this without a fight is not the way forward. Ask Porsche for statistics on t/b failures then get a good lawyer.
It is strange how we Porsche owners seem to accept issues when it is a Porsche but if it was a Land Rover we would be slating JLR quality.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

mark-yorkshire wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:14 pm
Crazy diamond wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:06 pm I feel for all those that have had transfer box replacements. However, the onus to fix must surely be on Porsche? Why haven't they issued a recall? Why do so many people feel that £1500 to extend a warranty to cover a t /box failure is the way forward? Yes I am a Porsche fan but just because the majority of us can afford the warranty, surely this is not good or fair practice. Manufacturing something which is not fit for purpose and then getting customers to insure against its failure, is not on. Transfer boxes shoukd not fail under 100,000 miles of use and to accept this without a fight is not the way forward. Ask Porsche for statistics on t/b failures then get a good lawyer.
It is strange how we Porsche owners seem to accept issues when it is a Porsche but if it was a Land Rover we would be slating JLR quality.
+1
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
wizard

Post by wizard »

Just for a bit of additional information the revision 'A' transfer box was introduced in March 2018, it has gas nitrocarburising (GNC) on the clutch plates. If you had your transfer box replaced around or before that time it will have been the same type that the car had from new, i.e. just a likely/unlikely to fail again for the same reasons.

The 'X' as someone has pointed out is an 'exchange' unit and Porsche want the old transfer case back, there is a none 'X' variant but obviously it's a good deal more expensive.
Delivered May 2015

http://www.porsche-code.com/PF14VLL5
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

wizard wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:28 pm Just for a bit of additional information the revision 'A' transfer box was introduced in March 2018, it has gas nitrocarburising (GNC) on the clutch plates. If you had your transfer box replaced around or before that time it will have been the same type that the car had from new, i.e. just a likely/unlikely to fail again for the same reasons.

The 'X' as someone has pointed out is an 'exchange' unit and Porsche want the old transfer case back, there is a none 'X' variant but obviously it's a good deal more expensive.
This process will provide an anti-wear resistance on the surface layer of the clutch plates and should improve fatigue resistance. Shame it took until March 2018 to be introduced.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

And I think mine might be going now as well....
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Same here. Most pronounced when driving around multi-storey car parks, with a lot of steering input. Feels like driving on ice? Was going to wait until service time in October, but even passengers notice it now, so need to book it in.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

I'm taking mine (2015 Petrol S, 44K miles) in next Monday for a diagnostic check. But from everything I've read, the symptoms are identical. With this in mind, I asked for a quote to replace the transfer box, as I'm out of warranty, it wasn't as frightening as some of the figures quoted on here.

Will let you know the outcome next week.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PFEUU4Q4
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

Devonian wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:56 pm I'm taking mine (2015 Petrol S, 44K miles) in next Monday for a diagnostic check. But from everything I've read, the symptoms are identical. With this in mind, I asked for a quote to replace the transfer box, as I'm out of warranty, it wasn't as frightening as some of the figures quoted on here.

Will let you know the outcome next week.
Good luck. I would hope that costs would be met, at least in part, by the OPC. The history of failure of the transfer box is something Porsche cannot deny and is clearly a quality failing. If it was a safety critical matter they would have to issue a recall but as it is they are relying on loyal Porsche owners to pay for extended warranties to cover the costs.