Transfer Box Replacement

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
AlanB

Post by AlanB »

Hi
To all those who've had a new transfer box fitted, has anyone else noticed a fall in fuel consumption.
Mine has dropped by around 10% on my SD.
Cheers
Alan

mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Possible reasons for drop in mpg:

1. The software has been reprogrammed to make the emissions better and resulted in less mpg

2. The PDK automatic learning ability has been reset to original factory settings

3. With the new transfer box you may have been driving faster to give the car a good testing
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
v8trev

Post by v8trev »

Has anyone who had their car delivered after Aug 16 been affected by this?

Hi Tall Phil
Our SD was December build and now has around 1700 miles on it. Straight away, I've noticed a problem reversing up our steep drive - throttle is either on or off (impossible to drive smoothly). Driving forwards up the same drive, again throttle control is very jerky - take your foot off the throttle & car rolls backwards before it eventually grinds to a halt but no hold light coming on. Most diesels I've driven just trundle up slopes - you shouldn't have to balance it on the throttle. It almost feels like as if the clutch is slipping if you know what I mean. Anyway car is booked into OPC 16th March with a courtesy car booked for a week so hopefully they can find the problem.
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Right, good luck with the diagnosis.
GTS \o/ - sold :(
v8trev

Post by v8trev »

Cheers
sarliz78

Post by sarliz78 »

Hello.. looking for advice/guidance... 2 weeks ago I purchased a 2016 Macan S with 10800 miles from local dealer. Vehicle is certified pre-owned with warranty. From day one I noticed after about 9 minutes into driving, the shuddering and hesitation on acceleration. The problem gets worse the longer I drive and also occurs on deceleration after a while. We immediately notified our dealer and were told the transfer case would be replaced under warranty, which is scheduled for 4/13. Unfortunately, after driving for 40 minutes this past Saturday (which is the longest we have driven the car continuously), I experienced a sever shuddering while turning in reverse to get out of a parking spot, and the problem continued throughout the day. While I was hopeful the transfer case replacement would fix our problem, I am now very concerned about the reverse issue.
On a side note, the previous owner only owned the car for 28 days... when we asked the dealer about this we got an answer that he upgraded to a Boxter - didn't make much sense but since the car was certified and under warranty we took it anyway. Now we are suspecting the previous owner returned it because it is basically undriveable. We test-drove the car twice but in winter conditions and for about 10 minutes each time and the problem was undetectable.
Looking for any advice... this is my first Porsche and I love it, but got a Porsche because it should be a pleasure to drive and this one certainly is not!

sarliz782017-04-10 14:59:31
sarliz78

Post by sarliz78 »

Hi... I am experiencing both the shuddering/hesitation acceleration/deceleration and just the other day had severe shuddering in reverse. What does this indicate? I am scheduled for transfer case replacement this week - is the reverse issue separate? Appreciate any info as I am new to Porsche and a little freaked out by these problems after only owning the car for 2 weeks!!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Reading through the thread, both symptom are cured by the replacement transfer box.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
JKNHants

Post by JKNHants »

Agree with Paul. We've had our petrol S for about a year now (approx. 10K) and no sign of any of these symptoms. PDK is a winner with no noticeable transmission lag and the hold function performs just fine. There must be a batch of dud boxes that all need replacing. Good luck with the fix.
Petrol S delivered Apr 16
chudwill69

Post by chudwill69 »

Glad i found this link and so many others with the same issues. Had a second hand 2016 Macan from May of this year with 5000 miles. The drive issue i put down to the air suspension, as never had one before. But after putting 3000 miles more, it steadily got worse. Never had the reversing issue, but always stuttered when hot on the motorway when the engine is between 1000 and 1500rpm, even in neutral (weird). The roads are so bad in the UK, just out it down to them and air suspension.

Eventually when I spoke to Porsche Bolton (who were very professional), they said it felt like wheel balancing. I did this at a local garage, and they said only 10 grams out, will not make that difference. When i gave it to Porsche Bolton for the day, I said Transfer box, and 5 hours later, it was confirmed. 8000 miles old 12 month old car, now having new transfer box fitted. Glad they found the issue and confirmed and replacing, But this is a £65k car, surely this isn't right. Will it go again, and if so are we all stuck with a £3k+ bill int he future, very worrying.

Hopefully will get the car back tomorrow, so i can finally drive the car as it should have been from day 1. Wondering though, did the previous owner get rid because of the terrible drive.