Transfer Box Replacement

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Agree with Nick that doubt you will get anything in writing or even verbally for something that may never happen.
Also lots of other cars have had various / similar issues over the years too including some high profile ones recently which have spent more time with the relevant car manufacturer / dealer than the owner.

Its a shame these issues happen bit this isn't the first or the last but the most important thing is how its dealt with. Audi's response to the engine oil problems in 2010 and prior cars was awful but in the end it was all resolved.
It does make the extended warranty worth it for peace of mind if you are planning on keeping the car longer.

GTS 😀

Guy

Post by Guy »

So if you do end up getting the Transfer Box replaced whilst in-warranty, how long is the warranty on the new part?
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

Seems to me that if I am spending circa £60k on a car I would hope to have some reassurance that Porsche are aware of the problem and working on a solution. I am sure this is the case( "case" no pun intended ) and will feedback my response. I would hope the issue is minor but it is an issue given the number of reports on worldwide forums, whilst recognising the majority of people do not use forums. http://www.macanforum.com/forum/australia/120793-transfer-case-fault-2.html
happy days

Post by happy days »

So if you do end up getting the Transfer Box replaced whilst in-warranty, how long is the warranty on the new part?

Technically, until the end of the warranty period on the original part.
Macan S D
718 S
Guy

Post by Guy »

Technically, until the end of the warranty period on the original part.

Thanks, so unless they bring out an uprated box I need to break mine before the end of year three, get a replacement and then drive like Miss Daisy thereafter ...
Deleted User 611

Post by Deleted User 611 »

Getting my Macan back on Saturday with a new transfer box. Service engineer said that the box is a new modified version to fix the problem and not just a like for like replacement. He also stated that when the same problem occurred on the Cayenne the design was modified, pity they did not read across to the Macan at the time.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Interesting stuff Jonnyw. Let's hope they have identified the cause and designed it out now. Hopefully Crazy diamond will get similar confirmation but via a different route.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Perhaps you could ask him what it would have cost if you had been paying? It would be interesting to know the figure as it could influence whether to get an extended warranty
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I may be wrong but I am sure I read that the cost is around £2500.
Would be good to know officially though.
I would also assume that even the latest Nov/Dec 2016 builds onwards don't have the modified fixed version?
GTS 😀
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

The chap on Pistonheads was quoted approx £2500 for the replacement transfer box which is taking the mick but in any event Porsche agreed to replace at no cost. As Porsche clearly know there boxes are not manufactured to an acceptable standard I think that they will be liable for many years after the expiry of the three year warranty under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.