Transfer Box Replacement

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Transfer boxes seem to cause a lot of issues on VW group vehicles. I drove Tourages for the most of ten years and was on the forum. There were always threads on there about failing transfer boxes. I had the box replaced on my first one but the other two had no problems. Q7s are also known to have issues as well. I don't know if they all use the same type of box, but wouldn't be surprised. I also had a box replaced at low mileage on a Discovery, so it seems to be a weak point on a lot of 4x4s
Last edited by Rab J on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50

mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Macancan wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:30 am
Macancan wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:34 am My January 2016 Macan SD started to develop the juddering symptoms :-( after 20500 miles
Its now being investigated at Porsche Reading.
Will update once Its been looked at?
Porsche assistance has been top notch though, collected car and arranged a rental.
Although its a Mercedes E220D :shock:, I feel like a taxi driver in a pimp mobile :lol:
Update, OPC Reading called yesterday to confirm problem has been diagnosed, Transfer box/case has a seal on one of the shafts that has let oil into the workings and causes judder when warm.
New Transfer box/case on order from Porsche Germany 2day order. Hopefully get my Macan back Friday. Luckily for me its a warranty issue.
These seals should be good for at least 150,000 miles . It's not acceptable for them to fail and then wreck the transfer box.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
RichardE

Post by RichardE »

Update on my Transfer box replacement
Porsche GB refused to give a goodwill contribution to the cost and suggested that the dealer contact Porsche Germany. They did this and obtained a flat refusal to help.

I am very disappointed as this is known fault with an established upgraded part and the car has done such low mileage and only just out of warranty.

Porsche should be ashamed - but not sure I have anywhere else to go - any ideas??
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Maybe a motoring column in a national newspaper? A bit of adverse press about a car company that is making a fortune but won't help loyal customers? You never know
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Honest John, maybe?

Or something like AutoExpress, Autocar or What Car? :ugeek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Retired

Post by Retired »

I'm no expert on this but Sale of Goods Act requires the product to be of satisfactory quality.

Seems to me that it's quite clear that this car is not of satisfactory quality. It's a high quality product ( you might disagree!) at a high price with not much use and it's a known problem. It would be expected to last more than three years without developing a significant problem.

Your claim is against the dealer you bought from.

You can pursue this through the small claims court. I've done this with a different matter and found it an effective, easy process and not very expensive.

Might be worth talking to Citizens Advice and / or the Consumers Ombudsman to get further clarification of you rights.

Good luck.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Agree with Retired. Threats of newspapers etc won’t do much (but won’t hurt either😉)
The small claims court (or threat thereof) can be very effective against the dealership.
The work needs doing so you’ll have to suffer the invoice if you need the car; ask for a pro-forma if you don’t need the car back urgently.
You can go onto the small claims website and fill the form in completely, print it off and submit it to the dealership saying you will proceed with the claim in (say) 14 days if you don’t get a satisfactory reply.
Boost the claim with car hire costs and your own time - these may be elements you could subsequently agree to negociate down.
Best of luck, let us know how you get on.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

If it were my car would be threatening my supplying dealer with small claims court under Consumer Rights Act 2015. Lots of evidence online of issues with transfer boxes for Porsche and VW group

If a fault develops after the first six months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time of delivery.

In practice, this may require some form of expert report, opinion or evidence of similar problems across the product range.

You have six years to take a claim to the small claims court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and five years in Scotland.

This doesn't mean that a product has to last six years - just that you have this length of time in which to make a claim if a retailer refuses to repair or replace a faulty product.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Update to my problem with the juddering symptoms is that the car is currently with the dealer in Newcastle. They investigated and have stated that it needs both drive shafts replacing but that the transfer box is ok. At my request they asked Porsche Uk for a good will gesture on my behalf and they have come back to say that they will pay the majority of the £2600+ bill and want me to pay £500. This is because I bought the car from an independent dealer and have not taken the option of extending the warranty. The car had one previous owner.
The service department at my Dealers say that they don’t read the forums but I informed them about the problems that many forum members have had with this fault.
I was going to change the Macan S for a GTS next year but probably won’t now.
987 Boxster S (sold
987 Boxster S (sold)
White Macan S Petrol, (sold)
Rhodium Silver metallic Macan GTS (sold)
Aqua Blue 981 Boxster S (sold)
Midnight Blue 718 Boxster GTS (sold)
GT metallic silver 911 992 Carrera S (sold)
Carmine Red Boxster 981 GTS
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Salty wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:34 pm Update to my problem with the juddering symptoms is that the car is currently with the dealer in Newcastle. They investigated and have stated that it needs both drive shafts replacing but that the transfer box is ok. At my request they asked Porsche Uk for a good will gesture on my behalf and they have come back to say that they will pay the majority of the £2600+ bill and want me to pay £500. This is because I bought the car from an independent dealer and have not taken the option of extending the warranty. The car had one previous owner.
The service department at my Dealers say that they don’t read the forums but I informed them about the problems that many forum members have had with this fault.
I was going to change the Macan S for a GTS next year but probably won’t now.
A reasonable result but not exactly confidence in the Porsche brand- hence why you probably now won’t go for a GTS. If Porsche had gone the whole hog and paid in full you would have been delighted with Porsche and no doubt bought a GTS.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.