Transfer Box Replacement

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Guy

Post by Guy »

Here I go, answering my own posts again - first sign of madness! :D

Anyway, just to say that I emailed Porsche Wolverhampton with my query, and they called me within seconds to explain: Sadly the answer is that my new transfer box is only warrantied until the end of the car's original warranty period - so less than 7 months! :cry:

Whilst on the phone, I also asked whether the transfer box had been modified. The answer was 'not specifically', but that there has been a modification to the 'breather tube', as we'd already heard.

(I did suggest that they look at re-wording the Parts Warranty statement on their website, due to ambiguity)

tuizner

Post by tuizner »

Joined the club. 30k. 2.5 yrs old SD.

Bournemouth had it for a fortnight but apparently there are no transfer boxes in stock and a new batch is being manufactured in Germany I was told. Still waiting for the part...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Guy

Post by Guy »

tuizner wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:25 pm Joined the club. 30k. 2.5 yrs old SD.

Bournemouth had it for a fortnight but apparently there are no transfer boxes in stock and a new batch is being manufactured in Germany I was told. Still waiting for the part...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
^ They're actually made in Mexico!
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Guy wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:57 am The plot thickens - the above was from the Porsche Wolverhampton website, whereas the wording is slightly different here: https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesa ... typeriods/

Porsche Parts Warranty

Every Porsche Genuine Part fitted to your Porsche by a Porsche Centre comes with a 2 year Porsche Parts Warranty. This warranty is not applicable if a repair or part has been paid for by a Porsche Centre or has been completed or replaced under a Porsche Approved Warranty or the New Car Guarantee.
That reads correctly at least. The Wolverhampton version is gobbledegook.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
tuizner

Post by tuizner »

Whilst waiting for a new box, I have put on 1500 miles on a trip through Germany.

Phone call to Bournemouth today and they are still waiting for the part (but I have been joined by another 2 macans with the same issue in the intervening period).

Bournemouth put in a ticket to Porsche asking about the delay (been a month now) and apparently Porsche will reply in 2 weeks!
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I notice from my manual that part of the servicing involves 'checking the transfer box wear integrator'.

Does this actually tell them anything useful as you would expect that they could head these failures off at the pass, if it did?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

Some advice needed please.

Macan turbo. 16k miles and I've been driving with no issues since January.

I've just had new boots all round, kept the same make and type of tyres that came on the car from new but since having the boots fitted I've noticed a real drop off in acceleration, handling etc. I've also noticed the car seems hesitant to pull away from a stop, mostly between 1st and 3rd gears, but also top end seems lacking in drive too. It is marginal, but noticeable.

Starting of a transfer box issue????
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Wizard on here posted a good test for transfer box testing......

“Try putting the car in off-road mode when it's warm and reversing slowly on full lock, if you here a banging/knocking, it's almost certainly the start of a transfer case problem.”
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Sandy Tyres

Post by Sandy Tyres »

I can’t thank everyone enough for the info posted, warranty due to expire in 4 weeks, and am due to have the transfer case replaced.
I honestly didn’t realise the progressive problem I was experiencing until JonMacan put it in a "simples" statement
weemsy6147

Post by weemsy6147 »

All

Is it fair to describe this like the traction control system stopping a tiny bit of wheel spin when pulling away turning left or right out of junctions?

Or could that genuinely be the traction control system?

Thanks