Transfer Box Replacement

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
JKNHants

Post by JKNHants »

Excellent article in May edition of 911 & Porsche magazine on transfer box replacement. Fully illustrated and costed they describe symptoms and note that diagnosis should not prevent usage as no apparent adverse impact on the rest of the vehicle.
Petrol S delivered Apr 16

happy days

Post by happy days »

JKNHants wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:55 pm Excellent article in May edition of 911 & Porsche magazine on transfer box replacement. Fully illustrated and costed they describe symptoms and note that diagnosis should not prevent usage as no apparent adverse impact on the rest of the vehicle.
Could you photo / scan that and post it on here? Or is it available on-line?
Macan S D
718 S
JKNHants

Post by JKNHants »

Hi Happy Days
911 & Porsche World have email and sub contacts but don't seem to advertise their website.
Salient points mentioned are that no damage seems to accrue to the transmission when the car is driven with a faulty transfer box and when a replacement is fitted the only visible difference is an "A" at the end of the part number. The dismantling mechanic was unable to identify where the fault lay in the mechanics of the box which is essentially a multi-plate clutch pack quite different to the proper transfer box fitted to the Cayenne.
Parts came to £1,160 (inc VAT) which magically becomes up to £4,000 at some dealerships (although many others seem to have been much more understanding). Symptoms as already described here include vibrations and juddering and the impression of a minor misfire from the engine which are worse at low speed.
If you have any more specific queries and cannot get hold of a copy of the article (back issues available at www.bit.ly/issuesgtp apparently) I will try my best to answer. Bon chance!
Petrol S delivered Apr 16
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

Have had the usual symptoms for a few weeks on my SD (won’t describe them, they are well covered on this forum and I can confirm they’re accurate!)

Dealer just confirms it needs a new box, will be it’s first replacement after 36k.

Apparently the the second version of the box also had issues after a while so there’s a third version of the box stocked by Porsche. Will try and get parts no. and post.

Belse
BarKat03

Post by BarKat03 »

My previous car (standard 2016 Macan) was playing up - very jerky gear-changes when accelerating particularly between 2-3rd and 3-4th.

Called local (company owned) dealership who instantly acknowledged it was probably the transfer box and arranged to replace it which they did couple weeks ago - I've since PXd it for a GTS which is fine.
Current - 2017 White Macan GTS
Sold: 2015 Black Macan
Sold: 2004 Boxster S 550 Anniversary Edition
PatrickM

Post by PatrickM »

Hi everyone, isn't the internet a wonderful thing. There was I thinking I was just unlucky, as my 3.5 year old Macan (27k miles on the clock) has the same problems and guess what, Porsche have diagnosed a Transfer Box fault and suggested it needs replacing - £2,000! I did not take out an extended warranty, so am having to cough up myself, although I have written the Porsche West London complaining and saying that it is obviously a design fault, given the number of people that are experiencing this issue. I will let you know what response I get from them. My main question though is, does driving it with this problem cause any other problems and is it common that it is just the Transfer Box that is the problem, or could there be some other underlying cause (gearbox / transmission etc)… I don't want to replace the Transfer Box just to find a different problem / issue occurs in 6 months time.
wizzzard

Post by wizzzard »

My 2016 GTS is in for the 111 point check at the moment. Just been advised the Transfer Box needs to be replaced. Even after reading this thread on the forum, I had no idea my GTS had the issue!
Jet Black GTS | 21" Sport Classics Gloss Black | PanRoof | Air Suspension + PASM | Pebble Grey Interior | Sport Design Mirrors | PDLS+ | Light Comfort | Bose | PS+
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

PatrickM wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:18 am Hi everyone, isn't the internet a wonderful thing. There was I thinking I was just unlucky, as my 3.5 year old Macan (27k miles on the clock) has the same problems and guess what, Porsche have diagnosed a Transfer Box fault and suggested it needs replacing - £2,000! I did not take out an extended warranty, so am having to cough up myself, although I have written the Porsche West London complaining and saying that it is obviously a design fault, given the number of people that are experiencing this issue. I will let you know what response I get from them. My main question though is, does driving it with this problem cause any other problems and is it common that it is just the Transfer Box that is the problem, or could there be some other underlying cause (gearbox / transmission etc)… I don't want to replace the Transfer Box just to find a different problem / issue occurs in 6 months time.
Hi Patrick and welcome.
I had it around a year ago at about 2.5 years old and 35k. I knew from reading here that it must be the transfer box. I drove it for around another 3 months and 3k until it needed a service and had it changed then. It only jerks on acceleration so it didn't bother me too much. All changed on the next service and good as new. It doesn't cause any damage to the rest of the car, even if it is annoying.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
stevelee4007

Post by stevelee4007 »

Tall Phil wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:01 pm Good to know.Have there been any other transfer box failures?
Yes. I've just had mine replaced. 2017 Macan S during 1st service with 12,000 miles on the clock at Porsche Wilmslow.
The car was returned with NO paperwork and NO mention of the Transfer Box replacement on any of the service documentation.

Very strange . As if they don't want anyone to know about this problem
ouzel

Post by ouzel »

In all these discussions (and some of the links), I've not really seen detailed mention of the actual failure mechanism of the transfer box. If it is water ingress through the breather, does that affect the electronics in the transfer box, or just contaminate the oil resulting in eventual meachanical failure ?

If the latter, the transfer box oil change does not appear to be a service requirement, but is very easy to do e.g.

For worried owners, do you think it is worth doing, or at least checking the transfer box oil quality ?

BTW, the closest overview I've found of how the transfer box works for the Macan is:

Apologies if I have missed answers to some of my questions in the previous discussions - if so, I'm happy to be enlightened.

FYI I have a 2015 Diesel S Macan, 81 000 miles. Reverse gear seems a bit sluggish, but otherwise I don't seem to have any issues (yet !). Fingers crossed.

Ta.