Possible R gear fault

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Just had this show up today on the multifunction display.
Possible R gear fault. Driving permitted.

Anyone else had this?

GTS 😀

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Not heard of that one. Does the warning stay up after ignition on and off, or car at rest for a while? Did you phone OPC?

Hope it's something simple and not too serious as it permits driving.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

It's probably only a problem if you need to go backwards... I suppose you get stuck if you drive forwards into a parking space!
Guy

Post by Guy »

It's probably only a problem if you need to go backwards... I suppose you get stuck if you drive forwards into a parking space!

Just park facing uphill where possible - you can always coast out!
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Not heard of that one. Does the warning stay up after ignition on and off, or car at rest for a while? Did you phone OPC?

Hope it's something simple and not too serious as it permits driving.

Seems to have cleared. Just left car for an hour and gone back to it and all ok.
Will keep an eye on it.

It's not even done 250 miles yet....
GTS 😀
RamblingR

Post by RamblingR »

Hi just wondered if you got this sorted?

My one week old macan has just been recovered and is in the shop with the exact same warning. I'm now driving a 5 series in the snow which isn't ideal.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

RamblingR wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:03 pm Hi just wondered if you got this sorted?

My one week old macan has just been recovered and is in the shop with the exact same warning. I'm now driving a 5 series in the snow which isn't ideal.
There was nothing to sort in the end. Has not re appeared in 3000 miles and 12 months.
From what i gather my wife was reversing up a slope and i think she may have switched gears to drive / reverse very quickly.
My warning came up once and never again.

What happened with yours and assume the message is consistent?
GTS 😀
LTH

Post by LTH »

Had this light up on the MFD. Dealer has been struggling to find the fault as it has disappeared as most people here say.
But unfortunately the gearbox is very clunky when changing down from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st at low rpm
(1200 rpm or lower).
Car then got stuck in 2nd. Apparently car has been diagnosed with a “non-present fault recorded within the gearbox ECU”
They are contacting Germany for technical advice.
I have been driving cars for over 30 years. Automatic transmission has evolved rather quickly but the macan gear box is most definitely devolution. Will never get this car again and cancelled order for new car.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

LTH wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:11 pm Had this light up on the MFD. Dealer has been struggling to find the fault as it has disappeared as most people here say.
But unfortunately the gearbox is very clunky when changing down from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st at low rpm
(1200 rpm or lower).
Car then got stuck in 2nd. Apparently car has been diagnosed with a “non-present fault recorded within the gearbox ECU”
They are contacting Germany for technical advice.
I have been driving cars for over 30 years. Automatic transmission has evolved rather quickly but the macan gear box is most definitely devolution. Will never get this car again and cancelled order for new car.
I understand your frustration but give the OPC and Porsche a chance to fix your gearbox before you write the car off. My wife is on her third VW Tiguan all with dual clutch automatic gearboxes and I've had the Macan for more than three years all without gearbox troubles. The technology is fundamentally sound. Mind you transfer box technology is fundamentally sound but that hasn't stopped it being a big problem on the Macan (including mine).

You say you've been driving cars for more than 30 years but it seems Porsche developed the PDK around the time you started driving. In 1986, a Porsche 962 won the Monza 1000 Kilometer World Sports Prototype Championship race -- the first win for a car equipped with the PDK semi-automatic paddle-shifted transmission. Probably a fact you're not interested in at the moment. :)
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
LTH

Post by LTH »

Hi

When Porsche developed the PDK it was initially for racing.
It wasn’t available on road cars. The problem is the technology has surpassed the mechanic. I don’t think the macan has a half decent gearbox and this problem is not uncommon in the VW group. Their best box is on the Audi.
Ferrari when initially introducing their push button gear box had numerous problems but managed to resolve it