Macan GTS - Oil level too high warning

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Haxas

Post by Haxas »

A couple of weeks ago I got a warning on the car saying the oil level was too high, I called Porsche and got it recovered. They couldn't find anything initially, refilled it with oil and the warning went away.

A week later the same happened, this time they sent an oil sample off and it shows the viscosity is too low (no fuel in it) and there was litre and half too much in it. They also said they had a Panamera come in with the 3.0 V6 engine with exactly the same issue. I'm now waiting for them to discuss the way forward with Porsche technical.

I've had the car almost a year and done 12500 miles in it, just wondered if anyone else had anything similar?

The cars been off the road for a week and a half, hope they get it sorted soon!
GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PH9DV3D9

B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

A couple of weeks ago I got a warning on the car saying the oil level was too high, I called Porsche and got it recovered.  They couldn't find anything initially, refilled it with oil and the warning went away.  

A week later the same happened, this time they sent an oil sample off and it shows the viscosity is too low (no fuel in it) and there was litre and half too much in it.  They also said they had a Panamera come in with the 3.0 V6 engine with exactly the same issue.  I'm now waiting for them to discuss the way forward with Porsche technical.

I've had the car almost a year and done 12500 miles in it, just wondered if anyone else had anything similar?

The cars been off the road for a week and a half, hope they get it sorted soon!

When they refilled it did they do a complete oil change?
Midasman15

Post by Midasman15 »

Had this on mine a few weeks ago along with a safe to drive message. Forgot to ring Porsche Cardiff when arrived at office and when started again in the afternoon warning had disappeared and has not come back since. It was only your post that reminded me.

Midas
VG GTS gone, Grey GTS here but prefer the VG colour :(
Haxas

Post by Haxas »

Yeah, they completely drained the oil first time round and refilled it.

Midasman- Sounds like the same as mine, warning said Driving Permitted but Porsche said to get it recovered just in case. Now looks like something is contaminating the oil. Might be gear box oil.
happy days

Post by happy days »

I can't see how gearbox oil could get into the engine lubrication system?
Macan S D
718 S
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

If your OPC has sent an oil sample for analysis, they should know more than just "the viscosity is too low". The usual source of low viscosity is "fuel dilution" but you say they've already ruled that out. I don't know what oil is used in the PDK box but it will have different characteristics to engine oil and any cross contamination, however unlikely, should show up in the sample. The other possible contaminant is coolant but, once again, that should be detectable in the oil sample.

If the problem is recurring only one week after the oil has been changed, the cause should be obvious. I suggest you push your OPC for more detail on the results of testing the oil sample.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
happy days

Post by happy days »

If it was coolant, this would have been readily identified when they drained the original oil. More likely to be fuel IMHO.
Macan S D
718 S
VanB

Post by VanB »

Low viscosity would point to fuel contamination I'm sure.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

If it was petrol diluting it that much you should be able to smell it.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Haxas

Post by Haxas »

Thanks for the replies, I pushed them for more info from the sample, it is showing zero contamination with a viscosity of 34 where it should be 40. That doesn't mean a lot to me.
They are still discussing it with the technical team in Germany although I get the impression they don't know what's causing it.
They suggested filling it back up and just seeing if it happens again.