Macan GTS - Oil level too high warning

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Mobil say the correct oil for the GTS is 0w-40. The viscosity starting from cold will be very low and rise with operating temperature as explained by RayG.

What I don't know is what method an OPC will use to determine if they're putting in the correct amount of oil. I suspect it may be possible to remove the sensor and use a dipstick.

The really puzzling thing is that the "alarm" does not appear for several days whereas if the sump had been over filled you would expect an immediate alarm. It is the rise in level combined with the apparent absence of contaminants that is the real mystery here.

Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

happy days

Post by happy days »

I doubt whether a service department would measure the amount of oil being drained. It'll probably be drained off into one of those long shafted oil pans that we have all seen.
Macan S D
718 S
Retired

Post by Retired »

Surely higher temp lower viscosity?

You're correct.

Never any good at proof reading my own stuff!
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

You're correct.

It gets more complicated with multigrade oils.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Mobil say the correct oil for the GTS is 0w-40. The viscosity starting from cold will be very low and rise with operating temperature as explained by RayG.

What I don't know is what method an OPC will use to determine if they're putting in the correct amount of oil. I suspect it may be possible to remove the sensor and use a dipstick.

The really puzzling thing is that the "alarm" does not appear for several days whereas if the sump had been over filled you would expect an immediate alarm. It is the rise in level combined with the apparent absence of contaminants that is the real mystery here.

Just to correct...the viscosity starting from cold will be high then reduce with operating temperature.

If the engine was over-filled when cold then thermal expansion would account for an even higher level after warming the engine. No idea by how much as no idea of the starting position, but it could be (part of) the problem.

UPDATE

Just calculated that expansion from 5 C to 100 C increases volume by about 7%Ray G2017-03-21 13:20:03
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Retired

Post by Retired »

You're correct.

It gets more complicated with multigrade oils.

Indeed it does.

See here for a detailed exposition:

Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Exactly where I cribbed my explanation. Thanks for posting.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Guy

Post by Guy »

Reading through this I wouldn't rule out a faulty oil level sensor together with a less-than-accurate (or mis-understood) dealer viscosity reading.
Haxas

Post by Haxas »

One of my first questions when it happened the first time was whether they'd measured the amount of oil that had come out. This came as a bit of surprise to them so don't think they'd thought about it.

Next question was a faulty sensor, again they don't think it's that because there was too much oil in it the second time around.

Both times its happened the warning has come on from a cold start-up.

Awaiting an update for today.
GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PH9DV3D9
happy days

Post by happy days »

Macan S D
718 S