Sports +

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
JKNHants

Post by JKNHants »

Being now properly "run in" (after a year!) my concern is over the use of the sport and sports + modes. Put simply is there a downside to quick swaps in and out of these modes for overtaking or coping with interesting topography? Can "overuse" upset the PDK or cause confusion in the suspension set up? I am sure the OPC would say it's all "perfectly safe sir" but does anyone have reservations. I now tend to use the sport buttons in preference to manual "flipper" down-changes which is a lazy way of "making progress"!
Petrol S delivered Apr 16

LLL

Post by LLL »

Simple answer is: NO

You can abuse it like crazy. This is what Porsche is very best at, building reliable cars.
Actually, I've been talking lots with different mechanics at my OPC over the years and the cars that they service that has been heavy abused are the ones that perform best and have less issues with the drivetrain and also got better mpg.

Enjoy your car and its performance Thumbs Up
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The PDK software has learning algorythms within and it adapts the gearbox map to your driving style.

I use Sport in town for day to day driving as it is more responsive, SD owners especially should really try this it makes town work far better as it removes the gearbox lag.

Sport in the country when having fun works great and I have not experienced any issues returning to Grandad mode.

Sports+ is more like on steroids and can be fun but a bit aggressive on gearchanges and gives a very sensite throttle, again I have not experienced any issues switching back to Sport or Grandad mode.

As for Launch Control, never tried in in my own car, nor do I intend to (well at least that is the intention), but if some plonker in a Beamer stops next to me at the lights who knows.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

I think " it's perfectly safe sir" would be the route to take

The car won't do anything or go into any mode it shouldn't, and the rev limiter will kick in if anything untoward does happen.

(Also, you'll probably run out of road / courage before you get near any of the car's limits on UK open roads)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I've heard of Porsche drivers talking about an "over rev" or some similar expression. Is there such a thing?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
John_M

Post by John_M »

As they will both be a software mode for mapping when to change gear, throttle response - then I doubt there is any real risk of changing them fast (unlike apps on phones) other than wearing out the buttons or hitting the wrong button (as I have done a few times on my BMW - expecting sports mode but got traction control partially switched off)
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/

Take a look at this link for info on over revs......

Generally only a concern for those cars with a manual box. Something I am very aware of with my 997.

PDK shouldn't allow over revs to occur. Where over revs do occur and they are in the higher ranges then warranty issues can ensue.....
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
VanB

Post by VanB »

Having literally just returned from the PEC I can confirm I was advised that PDK equipped cars are impossible to over-rev and you can switch modes with impunity. At least that was the advice from the instructor. He also said the harder they are driven the better they like it although it will hammer your fuel consumption!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
goron59

Post by goron59 »

there's no link between any thing you touch and the actual throttle so if it does over rev, you can blame the software.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

Our Macan was run in after 2 weeks what have you been using it for?? jonmacan2017-04-12 19:17:01
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.