Sports +

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Paul

Post by Paul »

there's no link between any thing you touch and the actual throttle so if it does over rev, you can blame the software. 

..this.....the rev limiter shouldn't let you over-rev on acceleration, and the PDK software shouldn't allow you to select (for example) 2nd gear at 100mph!

(note " shouldn't" )
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

VanB

Post by VanB »

It is designed not to so if you did you could go back to Porsche and claim.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

Simple answer is: NO

You can abuse it like crazy. This is what Porsche is very best at, building reliable cars.
Actually, I've been talking lots with different mechanics at my OPC over the years and the cars that they service that has been heavy abused are the ones that perform best and have less issues with the drivetrain and also got better mpg.

Enjoy your car and its performance Thumbs Up

Luke knows what he's talking about. There's a great video on You Tube where a motoring writer launches a 911 a hundred times with launch control. The car is completely unfazed by it.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/

Take a look at this link for info on over revs......

Generally only a concern for those cars with a manual box. Something I am very aware of with my 997.

PDK shouldn't allow over revs to occur. Where over revs do occur and they are in the higher ranges then warranty issues can ensue.....

Thanks, Rigger.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Interesting article. It looks like it is highly unlikely that you can over-rev a PDK, but may be possible in certain circumstances if really pushing it. Or maybe the parallel with the tiptronic gearbox they mention is not valid.
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

more likely to loose your licence before the car lets you down, just get out there and enjoy
JKNHants

Post by JKNHants »

Well that seems pretty conclusive. Not often I get to beat up a 3 litre bi-turbo on a public road round here but good to know the car's the least of my worries when I do. I'll send you all the bill when my transfer box blows!
Petrol S delivered Apr 16
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Interesting article. It looks like it is highly unlikely that you can over-rev a PDK, but may be possible in certain circumstances if really pushing it. Or maybe the parallel with the tiptronic gearbox they mention is not valid.

You can get pretty close.

At the PEC I really thrashed the Turbo and I deliberately pulled the down paddle to max out the revs, it went into the red and stayed there, the engine did not like it but I got no warnings.

Interesting for those who have sessions there booked to try it, in auto mode pulling the gears down when you should not to see what happens, then do it again but in full manual mode of the gear selector.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

You won't be able to over-rev the engine - it will just go into the red a bit and then hit the rev limiter.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

You can get pretty close.

At the PEC I really thrashed the Turbo and I deliberately pulled the down paddle to max out the revs, it went into the red and stayed there, the engine did not like it but I got no warnings.

Interesting for those who have sessions there booked to try it, in auto mode pulling the gears down when you should not to see what happens, then do it again but in full manual mode of the gear selector.

I hope you aren't suggesting that someone tries to break one of their cars!