Fuel

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

I know we all find our Macan diesel or petrol fits our needs perfectly but is it running at its best performance wise?

Most of us find our Dealers just dump cheapo fuel in our cars as cheap as they can find ( pretty sure my dealer does)

After not being able to fill my Macan with my regular shell fuel for the past 2 weeks I had to settle on texaco and questionable esso station.

Yesterday managed to fill up with my much preferred shell V POWER unleaded.

What can I say but "wow" have I strapped another Turbo under there
how much of a difference this stuff makes!

My nearest shell station is 15miles away but it certainly is worth a run out to fill up on this if you've never made a habit of it. And at 125p a litre it's a steal.

I Just think anyone who enjoys the performance of the Macan is missing out if you run ordinary cheap fuel.jonmacan2017-05-01 19:42:37
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.

gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Ran some little experiments with ours over the last 6 months

The first few tanks I put in regular fuel whilst running it in as was driving it gently. That was the first thousand or so miles. Did not notice any performance deficit but did manage to easily achieve mid 30s mpg. Since then have run exclusively Tesco momentum and really struggled to hit 30 mpg over the last few thousand miles and that includes some pretty mundane motoring often driving granny mode

Put in regular fuel a couple of weeks ago as no premium available and immediately saw over 35 mpg over the last couple of tanks. Not noticed any performance drop off as being doing mainly family motoring.

Not sure what to make of it all but will return to premium fuel as have always used it in my 300 bhp golf as really do notice the difference between regular and super fuels

The price difference makes no difference to me so may as well use the super stuff even if it only gives a small improvement. The fuel filler on the car recommends 98 Ron so will stick to that when I can

I have the 2.0 turbo by the way
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

My findings of momentum the couple of times I used it is not anything like the smooth effortless power delivery from Shell V POWER.

Quite dissatisfied with it and wouldn't use it again
happy days

Post by happy days »

I remember reading a review by Porsche years ago on high quality fuels v ordinary stuff. They reckoned there would be no difference in performance because the on-board computers would analyse the burn and adjust all settings as required. They firmly believed that there was no performance advantage to be gained.

After all, it comes out of the same hole in the ground, it's just the additives that make the difference.
Macan S D
718 S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

And the Moral is.....never be afraid to take the long way round to get to the filling station.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

I remember reading a review by Porsche years ago on high quality fuels v ordinary stuff. They reckoned there would be no difference in performance because the on-board computers would analyse the burn and adjust all settings as required. They firmly believed that there was no performance advantage to be gained.

After all, it comes out of the same hole in the ground, it's just the additives that make the difference.
so do the additives make a difference and in what way ?
Because my Turbo feels a lot less urgent on lesser fuel
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

And the Moral is.....never be afraid to take the long way round to get to the filling station.
Yes Col any excuse for a ride out.
EviL Ras

Post by EviL Ras »

Interesting. As the macan manual taylks about using 98 RON fuel, and not 95 RON if you can avoid it. So odd that they'd say the car will be happy with whatever fuel!

Either way, we're feeding our GTS with premium as its what we've put in all our cars! shell V power does seem to give the cars a little more oof, but could be nothing!
Carmine and Partial Garnet GTS Delivered Jan 17' www.porsche-code.com/PHE2IGH7
Our collection video - https://youtu.be/B-HvzRYztqc
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Always use Shell V Power as Shell is the nearest station.

Plenty of power, smooth and generally 40 mpg.

I have never really tried other fuels (in the Macan). Used to use BP without any problems.
Paul

Post by Paul »

For some reason best known to Esso, "synergie" is rated at 97 RON" but mine runs just fine on that from my local station

Off to France / Belgium (Spa) at the end of the month so not quite sure what I'll be able to find....it'll be interesting to see if I can feel any difference whatsoever, and if the mpg is noticeably different.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465