Regenerate Particulate Filter

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

We are just under 1000 miles into owning our SD and have had the dreaded regenerate particulate filter message appear 3 times. The first occasion was after 600 miles and it didn't give us chance to do the standard above 2000rpm procedure before the vehicle went into limp mode resulting in a visit back to the OPC for 5 days and extensive testing. Since then it has appeared a further 2 times and i have managed to clear it by driving above 2000rpm for 15 mins. The OPC advised that it is because the vehicle is predominantly covering 3/4 mile journeys. Surely a car should be able to cover any type of journey without throwing out an error. I have used the vehicle to commute in (approx 100 mile round trip) but one week later the message has flagged up again. Anyone else suffered this issue, very annoying and not impressed.

If your average journey is 3-4 miles, look at both the water and oil temperature readings when you reach your destination. Almost certainly they will not have reached the "normal" levels of 90 degrees. For short journeys you really need a light car with a small petrol engine not a 2 ton SUV with a diesel.

If your average journey is 3/4 miles then walking is a realistic alternative.

I used to average 15k miles per year in my Cayenne and it's 10k a year in the Macan which is the sort of mileage you really need to be doing to make diesel the right choice. Unfortunately there are very few (if any) car salesmen who will ask you what use do you intend to do with the vehicle.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

What fuel are you using j5kol? If you're not using Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate then switching to one of those may help a bit. But I think, as has been said, a weekly 30 minute motorway run is a minimum requirement or a change of driving habit before you resort to changing the car.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

can you go a longer way around for your journeys
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

A 3/4 mile journey is way to short for any diesel or petrol engined car for the engine to get up to operating temperatures and in the long term it will be detrimental to the engine.

The closest I have worked to home is 1.5 miles and whatever the weather I got on the pedal bike and rode in unless I had to go out on a site visit and it was then either 2 or 4 wheels.

Not sure if cycling is viable for you but there are electric bikes and trikes out there which may make it easier.

I kind of suspect that there is another reason why you take the car on a 3/4 mile journey.

When I had my motorcycle the journey into the office took 1/2 hour the journey home 1 hour +, in other words I suggest you try to change your driving style and you are in Bolton hence you have the M61 right next to you, so go to work and home the long way, a trip up to the junction with the M65 and back at least once a week.

You never know actually driving the Macan may become then fun again.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

My wife uses the Macan for ferrying the children to/from school and her commute which is approx 3miles. I have a Golf which i use for commuting (approx 50miles each way), i have used the Macan once each week over the past two weeks for my commute but then 5/6 days after this the Regenerate Particulate Filter warning comes on. We have had the Macan for 1 month now and it has covered 1050 miles in this period ( a trip to Yorkshire and a few of my commutes included) so it has hardly been held back. I have had a VW Touareg for the past 3 yrs and never had this issue.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

As has been said, some cars seem to be more susceptible than others. It sounds like your longer trips should have cleared the DPF, unless it's beyond that and needs a thorough purge at OPC.

You don't say what fuel you use.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

I have had a hard regen carried out by the OPC as the first time it happened i didn't get chance to perform a regen myself before the car went into limp mode.

I use a BP garage for regular diesel.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Might be worth trying the premium diesel.

I don't do a huge amount of miles - 7,000 miles in first year - but tend to do longer runs - 12 miles to work etc.. I have had no problems so far.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Echo ScotMac

I ran my Macan SD on the Shell premium diesel without any issues at all, but I always did one day a week where we drove in such a manner that regen would occur.

It was such a hardship driving to the Dales, the Lakes or to Liverpool or Manchester or to the Seaside for a day out, such is life when you are an oldie and retired.

Strangely enough those very same journeys in the Turbo are currently slower.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

Ha ha Col Lamb, well unfortunately for me i am a long way off retirement (some 30yrs) so will have to make do with the commute to force the regen.

I will try the premium diesel though, thanks for your help gents !!