Regenerate Particulate Filter

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

We are just under 1000 miles into owning our SD and have had the dreaded regenerate particulate filter message appear 3 times. The first occasion was after 600 miles and it didn't give us chance to do the standard above 2000rpm procedure before the vehicle went into limp mode resulting in a visit back to the OPC for 5 days and extensive testing. Since then it has appeared a further 2 times and i have managed to clear it by driving above 2000rpm for 15 mins. The OPC advised that it is because the vehicle is predominantly covering 3/4 mile journeys. Surely a car should be able to cover any type of journey without throwing out an error. I have used the vehicle to commute in (approx 100 mile round trip) but one week later the message has flagged up again. Anyone else suffered this issue, very annoying and not impressed.

Macananon

Post by Macananon »

A friend has an A7 that has been. PITA with this problem. Same basic engine!
I think it's a lottery if the engine is good or a dud like yours and his.
Rams

Post by Rams »

I had a very similar issue with a SEAT a few years ago. In the end I had to kick off with the Franchise owner and eventually got the CPU and relevant sensors all changed. It was those that were the problem not the DPF as you would expect.

Hope yours isn't the same type of thing.
Paul

Post by Paul »

My first SD covered 9000 miles in 8 months and I didn't once get an issue.
I think the key in your post j5kol is that you say you are using the car mainly for 3/4 miles trips. This barely allows the car to start to get warm let alone get up to working temp and allow the exhaust to start burning off soot.
I know it doesn't help, but when I owned and ran dealerships selling cars with dpf filters every customer signed a disclaimer saying they understood the car was not suited to short stop start trips. Not infallible but at least it was a serious conversation starter with the customer.
Also, the dpf filter will not necessarily regenerate just because you are driving at over 2000 rpm. The system also has to sense that the soot load us over a certain %. Most people will never know the regeneration process is happening as it will be automatic on a long run.

But you're not alone......

http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/advice-required-dpf_topic5773_page1&SID=2678-19d73d3372f7eb22c7f28807523148.htmlPaul2017-05-15 21:09:40
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I do mostly short runs, but that is usually a minimum of 5 miles. Maybe that is why I haven't had any problem yet. 2100miles so far.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I have just had a look at your first post on this forum, it is a pity that none of us questioned why you were ordering an SD.

Had we known about the useage we would definately have advised that the SD was probably not the car for you.

If you cannot change your driving habits then in all honesty I cannot see an end to your problems short of changing to a petrol engined Macan.

3/4 mile journeys is far to short for any car to get anywhere near the correct operating temperatures snd until normal temperatures are reached the engines and exhaust systems will not be operating in an optimal manner and in fact far more long term damage car be occuring.

For your type of mileage I would have thought that a hybrid would be a better choice.

I would seriously discuss with Bolton that you have been sold the wrong Macan for your needs and seek a change.
Col Lamb2017-05-15 22:49:11
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

since getting my first diesel Macan in May 2014 and my second diesel Macan a year later in May 15 I have never had any such warnings despite my Monday to Friday driving being almost 100% very short runs i.e. under 3 miles. At weekends I will regularly do a 30 min Motorway run. My car goes in for its first service on Wednesday and I will quiz the service manager as to whether the software update will alter the regen settings or ad blue consumption.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Spud

Post by Spud »

I have just had a look at your first post on this forum, it is a pity that none of us questioned why you were ordering an SD.

Had we known about the useage we would definately have advised that the SD was probably not the car for you.

If you cannot change your driving habits then in all honesty I cannot see an end to your problems short of changing to a petrol engined Macan.

3/4 mile journeys is far to short for any car to get anywhere near the correct operating temperatures snd until normal temperatures are reached the engines and exhaust systems will not be operating in an optimal manner and in fact far more long term damage car be occuring.

For your type of mileage I would have thought that a hybrid would be a better choice.

I would seriously discuss with Bolton that you have been sold the wrong Macan for your needs and seek a change.

I used to have problems with my first Diesel XF but never with the second two, so far no problems with my SD, I would however pick up on the assumption that a Petrol would be the answer, my wife had a 1 series Petrol for a couple of years and had problems with engine sensors etc BMW told her it was the way she drove it in so much as she was only doing short journeys and modern day engines needed good runs etc, if I was only doing very short journeys I think it would have to be an electric vehicle, however thankfully I'm still able to use "shanks pony" for such distances (not sure where that saying comes from)
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Agree with the comments above.

You say that "The OPC advised that it is because the vehicle is predominantly covering 3/4 mile journeys".

If 3/4 is three quarters of a mile and not 3 to 4 miles then I would respectfully suggest that you walk and then only drive it for the other (hopefully longer) other times that you need it.

As Col Lamb says "If you cannot change your driving habits then in all honesty I cannot see an end to your problems short of changing to a petrol engined Macan".

Comments meant to be constructive and not critical btw.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Friends have Jags with same problem and Jag would not resolve for them.
It's based on driving style which is the cause of these issues and affects all DPF and some makes more than others.

I have had car dealers (not porsche) telling me to get the diesel and even telling me that adblue sorts all the DPF issues out and you can no drive it how you like. Clearly they don't have a clue and just wanted to sell diesel.
I chose petrol because we do many short journeys. You really do need to do a decent run once a week I would do it at 2000 rpm or above for at least 20 minutes.
You are not the first and probably not the last person to have this problem across lots of makes and model cars.
There are lots of reports of DPF filter issues on all diesels.

You could of course have some kind of fault but I would expect that to be found. And based on your driving style it sounds more likely the issue imo.

Note regeneration may not happen if you have less than 14 of a tank of fuel. Kasfranks992017-05-17 16:24:39
GTS 😀