Regenerate Particulate Filter

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

You would think premium diesel and a commute once a week would be fine. Otherwise I would think there is a fault with the car - but how do you prove it?

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Log each journey time, distance and traffic for a few weeks.

Then you will have the data.

Col Lamb2017-05-17 15:55:43
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

Do bear in mind that simply driving at 2000 rpm for 15 mins does not, by default, regenerated the dpf. The system has to deem that the soot level is over xx% to start overfuelling and increase the temps. THEN you must drive at 2000rpm etc etc....
Also, as Scot says, you will get passive regeneration when the car is being used at working temp for any length of time ie the soot will burn off gradually and hopefully prevent the critical build-up which us causing the problem.
A final point, as mentioned above, active regeneration won't happen if you have less than a quarter tank of fuel (or at least, it never used to)
Keeping a log as Col suggests, and include max water and oil temps in it, will help the dealership if the problem re-occurs.
Good luck!Paul2017-05-17 16:14:53
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I imagine my DOF must have run some regen cycles, but is there any way of knowing when it is doing it? I haven't noticed anything different happening. Maybe it has never run one, or maybe it has. How could I tell? Or can't I?
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I imagine my DOF must have run some regen cycles, but is there any way of knowing when it is doing it? I haven't noticed anything different happening. Maybe it has never run one, or maybe it has. How could I tell? Or can't I?

I asked the same thing a while ago. Don't believe there is any indication unless it doesn't work.
pmb968

Post by pmb968 »

I've had my SD since Christmas and put on 8k miles in the first 5 months... usually do a 60 mile daily commute on country roads here in Gloucestershire plus some motorway trips so assumed this sort of running would be ideal to avoid DPF isssues but...

The dreaded warning light came on a few weeks ago, so took it for a humph up the M5 to Cheltenham and gosh, it was hard to get it consistently over 2k revs for 20 minutes using the flappy paddles as the blummin thing get changing back up even in sport mode and falling back to sub 2000 revs

Only then to my shame did I realise the gear level could be shoved over to the left and also operated in manual mode which seemed to hold a lower gear much longer.and thankfully light has gone out

I 'm now deploying the over 2000 revs for 20 minutes in a much lower gear once a week even on my a/b route commute, and no more recurrence.

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I "ran mine in" / took it easy with no sport mode etc. for the first 1000 plus miles and still had no problems - seems strange Confused
JR WAL

Post by JR WAL »

We are just under 1000 miles into owning our SD and have had the dreaded regenerate particulate filter message appear 3 times. The first occasion was after 600 miles and it didn't give us chance to do the standard above 2000rpm procedure before the vehicle went into limp mode resulting in a visit back to the OPC for 5 days and extensive testing. Since then it has appeared a further 2 times and i have managed to clear it by driving above 2000rpm for 15 mins. The OPC advised that it is because the vehicle is predominantly covering 3/4 mile journeys. Surely a car should be able to cover any type of journey without throwing out an error. I have used the vehicle to commute in (approx 100 mile round trip) but one week later the message has flagged up again. Anyone else suffered this issue, very annoying and not impressed.

We had the same issue and reported on here, decided to get rid after 1000 miles and 4 dealer regens. Replaced with the turbo PP so all good now. Mrs Jr has been in the RRS diesel for last 8 months with no issues, so porsche is obviously more sensitive to driving style.

On order : Turbo PP www.porsche-code.com/PHKEENG0 Macan 2;http://www.porsche-code.com/PH1P17P2
macan 1 - macan s http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI1VBS2
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

I shall look out for you pmb968, sounds like you overlap my commute territory - Night Blue SD
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
pmb968

Post by pmb968 »

Ferdie, I'm in a VG one.... and if you see a trail of soot billowing out behind me, at least we'll know the blasted dpf will be 'regenerating' again