Why doesn't P gear engage Parking Brake?

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Pete

Post by Pete »

On all automatic cars I've driven with an electronic parking brake, putting the transmission into Park engages the parking brake automatically.

So, what's the reason why Porsche doesnt? There must be a perfectly logical reason, but I can't figure it out...

John_M

Post by John_M »

Pete wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:53 pm On all automatic cars I've driven with an electronic parking brake, putting the transmission into Park engages the parking brake automatically.

So, what's the reason why Porsche doesnt? There must be a perfectly logical reason, but I can't figure it out...
I don't recall my last BMW doing that - However the BMW would put parking brake on when engine was switched off and it would put box into park, even moving lever away from manual location (otherwise lever returned back to location after changing to drive/reverse)
Pete

Post by Pete »

My old Mercedes did it, and several Land Rovers. It just seems logical that both should go on at the same time - went would you need a park great without the brake being applied?
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Pete wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:14 pm My old Mercedes did it, and several Land Rovers. It just seems logical that both should go on at the same time - went would you need a park great without the brake being applied?
One case I can think of is if you've just come off a circuit and your discs are super hot. You should never apply brakes in those cases, so handy.

Also, traditionally, the parking pawl in ye olde worlde torque converter cars, was the standard way to park. You'd only apply the "e" brake in rare occasions.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I was advised to apply the parking brake when parking to prevent longer term damage to the PDK. It would make much more sense for it to go on automatically and then take it off if you don't want it on. I think it might be a good idea to leave it off if you have just washed the car as this always causes some rust to appear on the discs. You get an uneven line of it by the discs if the brake is on.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Mrs P's 4 series has an old fashioned hand brake lever too......gear-box is gear-box; parking brake is parking brake...
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Benz

Post by Benz »

My VW Golf 7R (mind I think it is across a few models in the range) has the best arrangement of any car I have had thus far.
The park brake is linked to the drivers seat belt, the moment you unbuckle the PB activates. You can override it with the PB switch on the centre console if washing the car or whatever and you need to activate it again for it to work automatically. So best of both worlds.
The foot brake also has a useful feature for traffic lights as well. When stopped at lights if you use a light touch on the pedal the park brake is activated (the Macan needs a much harder push) and holds until you apply the accelerator to move off. If you apply the brake harder, if stop start is activated, the motor will stop, again until you accelerate at take off.
Both systems work perfectly once you get used to them.
Don't know why Porsche don't do a similar thing!
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Benz wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:54 am When stopped at lights if you use a light touch on the pedal the park brake is activated (the Macan needs a much harder push) and holds until you apply the accelerator to move off. If you apply the brake harder, if stop start is activated, the motor will stop, again until you accelerate at take off.
Both systems work perfectly once you get used to them.
Don't know why Porsche don't do a similar thing!
That's not how the Macan works.

A hard shove of the brake pedal invokes the HOLD function which is using the normal brakes. Parking brake isn't involved.

Stop-start actually works in a similar way on the Macan, although more sensitive (you can get used to it). Light touch on brake pedal will defeat the engine stop.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
John_M

Post by John_M »

Pete wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:14 pm My old Mercedes did it, and several Land Rovers. It just seems logical that both should go on at the same time - went would you need a park great without the brake being applied?
If you were going to leave it for a couple of months, or it was going to be outside at very low temps then I'd probably leave brake off if I can to avoid it sticking on - but then cars are much better now than they used to be so much less a risk of sticking.
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

My drive is level gravel so I regularly leave the parking brake off as it won't roll anywhere. I do this especially when not using the car for longer periods, everywhere else I always put the parking brake on when leaving the car.
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric