Engine Clattering - Fuel

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

So, I have had my SD for over two years and 20,000 miles. I bought the diesel because it was so smooth and refined and not like diesels that I am used to.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed the engine started making a rather typical diesel clattering noise at low rpm just as you add power. I have noticed this in Cayenne diesels that I have had on loan and I don't like it. Was this the result of wear and tear on the engine? Well probably not as it only seems to start happening when the engine is warmed up which suggests engine management to me.

Then I had to refuel and dropped in at Sainsbury's as usual. After this the clattering seemed reduced and then went away. Checking back, I remembered that my previous fill-up had been with Shell V-Power diesel, something I do only occansionally. It seems likely/possible that this was the cause of the change in engine sound. If correct, it doesn't seem very healthy to me. Has anyone else experienced this?

I think I'll stick to Sainsbury's!
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015

Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Most people who admit to using a particular fuel seem to swear by Shell V power. I have never used that however - not sure where I would get it locally - and tend to end up with Tesco, Sainsbury's or Esso at the small Tesco. Occasionally others if I have planned badly. No problems so far.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Giz9 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:37 am So, I have had my SD for over two years and 20,000 miles. I bought the diesel because it was so smooth and refined and not like diesels that I am used to.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed the engine started making a rather typical diesel clattering noise at low rpm just as you add power. I have noticed this in Cayenne diesels that I have had on loan and I don't like it. Was this the result of wear and tear on the engine? Well probably not as it only seems to start happening when the engine is warmed up which suggests engine management to me.

Then I had to refuel and dropped in at Sainsbury's as usual. After this the clattering seemed reduced and then went away. Checking back, I remembered that my previous fill-up had been with Shell V-Power diesel, something I do only occansionally. It seems likely/possible that this was the cause of the change in engine sound. If correct, it doesn't seem very healthy to me. Has anyone else experienced this?

I found the opposite with our Yeti. Shell V Power resulted in a quieter and smoother engine and with more mpg.

Perhaps the noise is the V Power cleaning all the crap out from the supermarket fuel? :lol:
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:49 pm
Giz9 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:37 am So, I have had my SD for over two years and 20,000 miles. I bought the diesel because it was so smooth and refined and not like diesels that I am used to.

I found the opposite with our Yeti. Shell V Power resulted in a quieter and smoother engine and with more mpg.

Perhaps the noise is the V Power cleaning all the crap out from the supermarket fuel? :lol:
Ha ha! Maybe supermarket fuel is like banana skins in the gearbox then!
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Always used Shell standard diesel and engine still very quiet at 19500 miles
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
daftpuddin

Post by daftpuddin »

Started getting the clattering sound from about 12000 miles on the clock. Infrequent to start with but gets progressively worse. Never occurs when engine cold. Happens between about 1100 and1400 revs.
Use varied fuels - Shell, supermarket, etc. Just added first litre of oil at 16000 miles, still at least 5000 miles to go before first service.

I've added Redex to last three tank fills. Made a noticeable improvement, but clattering occasionally returns but much quieter.
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

daftpuddin wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:55 pm Started getting the clattering sound from about 12000 miles on the clock. Infrequent to start with but gets progressively worse. Never occurs when engine cold. Happens between about 1100 and1400 revs.
Use varied fuels - Shell, supermarket, etc. Just added first litre of oil at 16000 miles, still at least 5000 miles to go before first service.

I've added Redex to last three tank fills. Made a noticeable improvement, but clattering occasionally returns but much quieter.
That sounds like what I had. Let us know if you notice any pattern with different fuels.
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
daftpuddin

Post by daftpuddin »

No probs. I'll report back after next couple of supermarket non-Redex tank fulls and see about comparison with Excellium. Some say Redex is little better than snake oil but I did get a massive improvement, about 90+% rattle free.
Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

Just an update to say that this noise has completely gone away for the last month. It has had sainsbury's fuel and one tank of BP Ultimate in that time. Curious?

But not complaining!
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
coulsda2

Post by coulsda2 »

Very interested how this link progresses because I've had the same for about 6 months - or had...
Mine happens when I accelerate very gently and the revs run around 2000rpm. Reminds me of the old fashioned "pinking" noise from my old petrol cars when the timing was too advanced.
Of course, it happens when I'm in the car with my wife and doesn't tend to happen with others. It wasn't all the time - some days seemed worse than others.

I took it in to the Garage and as you could expect...all the way to the garage I couldn't replicate the problem. A mechanic sat in the passenger seat and whilst I could faintly hear the noise it was very backgroundish and the mechanic was not so sure.

Two points you might be interested in....The mechanic thought it would probably be down to ....(now here I apologise because the mechanic spoke German with some English and I speak English but can point in German)....he explained that there is a feedback from the exhaust gas to the ???? as it can run too hot and the feedback cools. He believed that the problem could lie there.

Because I was so frustrated and they had still not heard the problem the next step is for a day drive by the mechanic under normal use while i sit in a loaner.

Since, the temperature has dropped to around 3 to 5 degrees the noise is gone...it may be a temperature related issue?