Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Good to know. I will get it sorted.....eventually :oops:
GTS \o/ - sold :(

IainSmith

Post by IainSmith »

Evening All

So ive recollected my Macan S after four days of a 2.0 Macan petrol as a courtesy car.

Annoyingly within 100 metres of leaving the OPC Leeds, the engine noise on the car which it had been in for since Saturday was still there.? no change?

So ive come away with my nicely valeted car but with the same fault. Another call with the OPC at 9am tomorrow I think.. 🤔

What they told me they'd fix/found was a pipe vibrating at idle against an air intake ducked causing it to be heard in the cabin. The service guy said they have had the car out for 30mins to test the fix as well. :(
Paul

Post by Paul »

If you didn’t / weren’t able to physically demonstrate the noise to the technician when you dropped the car off then they may not even be hearing the same noise as you are.

Definitely worth insisting this happens before the next workshop visit (and not the service advisor; the tech or senior tech should road test the car with you)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
IainSmith

Post by IainSmith »

Evening

yes, I got the technician to listen and confirm he could hear the background noise at idle.

Ive tried to attached the sound file via dropbox below..I took from the engine bay this evening once I got home.. NOTE: not the tapping noise but the underlying warble noise you can hear resonates into the cabin.. so annoying ...

You can hear it better with headphones on

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rhgjtinqaxav ... n-T9a?dl=0
Paul

Post by Paul »

definitely something there - although the recording does make the whole thing sound like a bag on spanners and very "top end tappetty" ! (I do like the "cat meowl" at the end)

It might be easier to pinpoint at the dealership if they put it up on a lift and drop the engine guard - too many plastic covers and so on to get a sensible idea of where its coming from when you listen from the top end.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
IainSmith

Post by IainSmith »

Advise needed..

So the engine noise saga goes on. Yesterday I got my car back from Porsche after it’s 2nd visit for the weird engine noise/sound at Rickover/idle. Long story short is. First visit they acknowledged it was making a odd noise, so it went in for 5 days, which on collecting they said ‘we’ve fixed it’ it was a pipe rubbing again the air con trunking. Anyway on collection the noise was still happening. It went back in on the 27th Dec for a further 9 days and I collected it yesterday were the story had changed from Porsche . ‘We can’t fault your car’ and the noise is a characteristic of the 3.0 Petrol engine. They said they had another 3.0 Petrol Macan with the same noise. (Which actually I listened to and it had the same noise). I then asked to check a couple of others Petrol Macao’s which didn’t have the noise..

I’m at a loss. The OPC are washing their hands of it as they have another car with the same noise so ‘that makes it ok’. Yet I’m left with a car I don’t think should be making the noise..

Advise please :)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

The only thing I can suggest is an inspection and report by an independent engineer. You'd have to pay for it but get Porsche to agree they will reimburse you if a fault is proven. It might be worth trying to get Porsche to agree to the inspection and to be bound by the result, although that would apply to you also of course.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Roy

Post by Roy »

I have this same noise, occurred after 3500miles and it's intermittent. Totally pissed me off when I took it to the OPC would not occur and then drive home it's back. When you add the revs the noise is gone.

The Macan forum in the US have this issue (more petrols over there) they call it the pigeon noise lol. Porsche say it's normal. I think its related to the AC pipe vibrating somewhere.

My noise could be heard near the transmission tunnel in the car when idle.
SD - http://www.porsche-code.com/PH4YFGK7 Collected 1st March - Sold

GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PH6EC8N2 Collected 1st June 2016 - Sold
IainSmith

Post by IainSmith »

Hey Roy

Absolutely pigeon noise! OPC Leeds are washing their hands of it and saying it’s not a fault. I’m now in conversations with Porsche UK
Roy

Post by Roy »

When I was researching - http://www.macanforum.com/forum/complai ... -idle.html

I don't think anyone has a fix for it...

I'm in the process of selling my GTS now, had a few issues popping up and no longer use the car. My car is 18 months old with 11.5k miles:

1) Bonnet rubber seals needed changing to due to creaking noise when driving over bumps (fixed)
2) Something rattles in passenger door when closing
3) Speaker vibration on driver side
4) The chirp noise at idle came after 3500 miles
5) PCM NAV black screen of death when in use (happened 3 times). Radio channel buttons go back to old version setting - reboot needed (on latest firmware)
6) Surround View not working on Diamond button on steering wheel even though it's there in the menu option to select.

Someone did hit and run (damaged rear bumper\diffuser) and a few guys have keyed my car (jealous cu*ts) - I think this was the tipping point.

Overall GTS has been amazing car, but I now have the option to upgrade my wife's daily driver into a family car and I can now go and get myself weekend toy (AKA 911).
SD - http://www.porsche-code.com/PH4YFGK7 Collected 1st March - Sold

GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PH6EC8N2 Collected 1st June 2016 - Sold