Petrol engine particulate filters

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
SRDL

Post by SRDL »

There's no need to panic. GPFs can regenerate at normal operating temperatures and have nothing like the problems we see with DPF. I suppose very short journeys on very cold days may be an issue but unlikely to be a problem for many of us.

I thought I had posted this link before but it may have been on the Mercedes forum I frequent.

https://www.infineuminsight.com/insight ... te-filters
Steve
Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 (3 litre, 367bhp) - in the end I went for that rather than a Macan S - sorry!

gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

good point SRDL, the same was said or not said about diesels to start with, there would not be any problems, time will tell?
Paul

Post by Paul »

That’s why I’m quite happy that my change cycle isn’t due for another 18 - 24 months; enough time for the manufacturers to discover what does and doesn't work in real life and (hopefully) establish valid fixes!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Gazoak

Post by Gazoak »

I smell trouble with GPF's too. I can see the same problem scenario on a smaller scale as with DPF's. It appears that EU legislators are doing all they can to move people in to milk float technology. Do they not appreciate that the electricity has to come from somewhere and those that want electric cars do not want nuclear power stations! Then what happens to the spent batteries? Battery powered cars weigh twice as much and will therefore cause more damage to roads which are in a terrible state already. Looking forward to power cuts once everyone is charging their cars overnight. Rant over!!
2016 Cayman S 981
2018 BMW M3 CP
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Can’t help myself agreeing with most of that , or mybe they are trying to get us off the roads so large industry can move around easily, thus creating larger profits, because in my synical old age I think I’m not far wrong. As with everything there’s always a hidden narrative. However I don’t believe electric will be the way forward for most .
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Gazoak wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:17 am I smell trouble with GPF's too. I can see the same problem scenario on a smaller scale as with DPF's. It appears that EU legislators are doing all they can to move people in to milk float technology. Do they not appreciate that the electricity has to come from somewhere and those that want electric cars do not want nuclear power stations! Then what happens to the spent batteries? Battery powered cars weigh twice as much and will therefore cause more damage to roads which are in a terrible state already. Looking forward to power cuts once everyone is charging their cars overnight. Rant over!!
Daily Mail reader alert!
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Peteski wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:47 am
Gazoak wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:17 am I smell trouble with GPF's too. I can see the same problem scenario on a smaller scale as with DPF's. It appears that EU legislators are doing all they can to move people in to milk float technology. Do they not appreciate that the electricity has to come from somewhere and those that want electric cars do not want nuclear power stations! Then what happens to the spent batteries? Battery powered cars weigh twice as much and will therefore cause more damage to roads which are in a terrible state already. Looking forward to power cuts once everyone is charging their cars overnight. Rant over!!
Daily Mail reader alert!
What do you mean ??
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Macananon wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:18 pm
Daily Mail reader alert!
What do you mean ??
Soaking up all the false news like a sponge re. the electric car rant.
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Peteski wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:49 pm
Macananon wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:18 pm

Daily Mail reader alert!
What do you mean ??
Soaking up all the false news like a sponge re. the electric car rant.
Oh I see

So what will happen to the battery packs when the come to the end of there life ?
Gazoak

Post by Gazoak »

Answers please?
2016 Cayman S 981
2018 BMW M3 CP