Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Macananon wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:31 pm
Peteski wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:49 pm
Macananon wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:18 pm

What do you mean ??
Soaking up all the false news like a sponge re. the electric car rant.
Oh I see

So what will happen to the battery packs when the come to the end of there life ?
Recycling in the long term, possibly home electricity storage in the medium term. Google it for more info, it's all out there and there will be plenty of commercial incentive. They are extremely unlikely to end up in landfill like many small phone/laptop batteries do.
Gazoak

Post by Gazoak »

Anybody? How do we dispose of the batteries?
2016 Cayman S 981
2018 BMW M3 CP
johnd

Post by johnd »

Gazoak wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:41 am Anybody? How do we dispose of the batteries?
What, ultimately do you mean? After they've had eg 30-40 years' of use and reuse in different applications?

I don't know any details, but it's difficult to imagine that there'll be too much problem in doing so - it's not as if they'll be radioactive or anything.

But my guess would be that there'll be so many of these things around in future (and all probably with just a few different form factors) that dedicated factories will be designed around dismantling them and recovering all the valuable materials, which might include the lithium for instance. It probably won't be any different in principle to what happens to the mountain of old ICE engines, just different recycling technologies required, but with the difference that the battery cells/pouches might have 2-3x the working life of an ICE engine.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Paul

Post by Paul »

Nowhere in the UK (currently) but centres in Europe and the US.....

https://app.croneri.co.uk/feature-artic ... atteries-0

If they can make a profit (I can’t imagine they’re a charitable organisation) then I’m sure someone in the UK will latch on soon (and the article is from 2013, so things have almost certainly progressed)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Gazoak wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:41 am Anybody? How do we dispose of the batteries?
Given that they are nearly 100% recyclable, there isn't really anything to dispose of. Compared with most other things that we recycle (or simply put in landfill) they are actually pretty favourable.

The future generation of cars will require a lot less "disposal" than what we are driving today. The average percentage recycling in current cars is I believe around 80%, while BMW are claiming 95% for their first generation i3. Of course the recycling infrastructure needs to grow, but there will be a big commercial and political incentive for that to happen over the coming decades.

As of today there are basically no EV batteries that require urgent recycling as they are nearly all still powering their original cars and a few powering homes etc. Obviously that will change dramatically over the next couple of decades.

The batteries that are currently a problem for recycling are the small ones sitting in mobile phones, laptops etc.