Petrol S - resonance on acceleration

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Rah

Post by Rah »

Could B737NGWS please elaborate where the 2 sided adhesive tape was applied and confirm that it cured the “resonance” we have all described.
Rah

andreas

Post by andreas »

Update - my OPC had the car for a couple of weeks while I was away. When I first complained about the vibration, in February, they spent a couple of hours checking that nothing was loose under the car or in the engine compartment. This time, they basically said "they all do that, sir". I insisted that they referred it to Porsche, who replied and said that it's a "characteristic" of the vehicle and there's no fix. I'm disappointed and surprised; I can't believe Porsche's engineers would have signed the vehicle off with this "characteristic".
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I've also noticed this on my 2017 Petrol S. Never bothered me much. I thought it may have been turbocharger related, but quite possibly a drivetrain resonance. I had a Ford Cortina many years ago with 3 or 4 resonances at different speeds, emanating from the tail shaft.
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

Rah wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:48 pm Could B737NGWS please elaborate where the 2 sided adhesive tape was applied and confirm that it cured the “resonance” we have all described.
Rah
Sorry for the late reply-on our car I heard a vibration on certain surfaces whilst accelerating which was coming from the inside of the car. This was simply the plastic piece of trim which forms the underside of the dash under the steering column in the footwell area.
If you trace the plastic cover all the way forward to the bulkhead (just to the left of where the steering column passes through the bulkhead) you will see that the plastic is finished off with a bit of a bend (V-shaped) which fits just under and rests on a metal piece of the bulkhead. This was rattling so I applied strong double sided tape to fix!
I suspect this may not be the issue most are experiencing but it may be a simple cure for some. Good luck people!!!

IMG_3167.JPG

thomab

Post by thomab »

Following on from the previous discussions on this topic, I thought I would present my experience of this. I collected my new Macan S in May and immediately felt this unusual ‘characteristic’ in what is other wise a perfectly finished car.
I would describe it as a very slight vibration/resonance which can be felt through the chassis. A bit like hitting a rumble strip on the edge of a road or the reaction you would get in a manual car when trying to accelerate in too lower gear. It occurs only when accelerating from 1200 to 1600 revs in 5th gear or higher after which it disappears.
I should point out the effect is only very slight and usually only noticeable by the driver. My concern was this could get worse over time or eventually cause a mechanical failure?
So I took it to my OPC and went for a drive with one of their technicians, and yes he could hear/feel what I was describing and said he had never noticed this before. We returned and went out in another Macan S, this showed the identical characteristic! In conclusion he said they would all be like this and it would not get worse and was nothing to worry about.
Not totally convinced I took the opportunity on my PEC day at Silverstone to mention it to my instructor who was intrigued and wanted to hear it for himself. So we went out onto the local roads in one of their Macan S’s and again it did exactly the same as mine. He too had never noticed this before or never had anyone mention it to him. His conclusion was that it sounded like slight resonance within the exhaust system which could be caused by the automatic timing adjustment the engine would be making to operate at these revs in these particular gears, and it was nothing to be concerned about.
My conclusion is whilst this is interesting, maybe I’m being too sensitive and so I will simply live with it. After all this is a brilliant car with so much to enjoy which my day at the PEC confirmed.
Macan S Volcano Grey Delivered May 2018
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJSZSY17
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Iv got it in my GTS... after coming from a diesel I put it down to the lower torque available in the diesel... compared to the petrol, I felt that the engine in the GTS was under more strain between low revs and a high gear , so as a result have the same symptoms, I’m not that worried unless something goes wrong!
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
boyboy9191

Post by boyboy9191 »

Hi All,

I have got the same resonance on my 2018MY Macan S.

Any chance if anyone has manage to resolve the problem from any Porsche Dealer around the world?
Just macan

Post by Just macan »

The answer you may find in this professional recent reviews..
davewf

Post by davewf »

Think Porsche needs to go and have a chat with this VW Engineer go to 5:32 where Robert states it's a good thing to hear the electric motor I love his reaction

DRSG

Post by DRSG »

I have the same groaning resonance between 1200 to 1600 rpm when accelerating from 5th ,6th or 7th gear. Prodding the pedal ever slightly brings on the resonance. Kickdown a bit more to 6th gear bypass the resonance.
I believe this is a common Macan S ailment. Just hit the Sports button and all groaning is gone!