Petrol S - resonance on acceleration

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

PaulJohn wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:24 pm I picked up my new petrol S today and noticed it within 5 minutes of driving from the dealers. Last time I had a noise like this was on a 1998 BMW 520i. After a year or revisiting the dealer 6 or 7 times the fault was identified as air con pipes oscillating at certain engine speeds. The fix was to bind them together with some tape. Ultimately, until Porsche find the fault we are all stuck with it.

Does anyone with a petrol Macan S NOT have this issue?

Is this issue present on a non-S?

Perhaps a small wireless bluetooth microphone with a decibel measuring app could be used to find the approximate location. How do Porsche go about trying to diagnose the problem?
No such issue on a June 2016 GTS
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18

Paul

Post by Paul »

Not heard it on my ‘16 GTS.
I do get a resonance at idle sometimes but put it down to the PSE....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
rydercowan

Post by rydercowan »

PaulJohn wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:24 pm I picked up my new petrol S today and noticed it within 5 minutes of driving from the dealers. Last time I had a noise like this was on a 1998 BMW 520i. After a year or revisiting the dealer 6 or 7 times the fault was identified as air con pipes oscillating at certain engine speeds. The fix was to bind them together with some tape. Ultimately, until Porsche find the fault we are all stuck with it.

Does anyone with a petrol Macan S NOT have this issue?

Is this issue present on a non-S?

Perhaps a small wireless bluetooth microphone with a decibel measuring app could be used to find the approximate location. How do Porsche go about trying to diagnose the problem?
I don't have this problem with my 2017MY S delivered 1 Sept 2016.
oldpilot

Post by oldpilot »

On the 26th August 2017, I posted this on this forum under the heading "Anybody know of a Macan rejection"

A friend of mine rejected a 3-month old Macan S back in the Spring of this year due to a harmonic vibration which occurred at around 1200rpm in 5th gear. He took me out in the car before rejecting it and I must say, although I could distinguish it (just), I wasn't that concerned.

Anyway, our local OPC had numerous attempts to cure it and loaned him a Turbo in the meantime, but eventually they gave up and agreed to exchange the car.

New one arrived in June and guess what - he says that vibrates as well!

FWIW they sold the defective one for the same price my pal paid for it!
Paul

Post by Paul »

It does show that we all hear and feel different things and that one man’s “insurmountable problem” is another’s “characteristic of the car.....to be ignored”

How is your friend / dealership dealing with issue on his replacement car?
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
oldpilot

Post by oldpilot »

He's just had to accept it!
Marra

Post by Marra »

Would someone please take the trouble to explain in more detail what this issue is. I don’t understand what resonance is in this context. Thanks
Paul

Post by Paul »

Marra wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:59 am Would someone please take the trouble to explain in more detail what this issue is. I don’t understand what resonance is in this context. Thanks
😉 if something you can’t hear, isn’t worrying you then it’s probably best left well alone......!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
andreas

Post by andreas »

Marra wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:59 am Would someone please take the trouble to explain in more detail what this issue is. I don’t understand what resonance is in this context. Thanks
On my car, there is a noticeable and rather harsh and unpleasant vibration when accelerating lightly from around 30-50mph.  It’s a similar but less pronounced feeling to that which you experience when a tyre strays on to the rumble strip at the side of the road.  It’s fairly transient, and goes away as the speed increases. It seems to be coming from the front right corner of the car.

I took the car back to the OPC for investigation of this vibration and the service guys looked at it, drove it a couple of times, and agreed that the vibration was present.  They did a safety check to ensure there was nothing loose.  Then they pronounced that the problem was “resonance”, but didn’t seem to know how to approach curing it. They suggested that if I drove the car in Sport mode the resonance wouldn’t appear as the engine would be at higher revs.  However, it’s not reasonable to drive in Sport mode all the time, especially when in traffic. I was under the impression that they would refer the problem to Porsche for guidance on how to cure it, but I've heard nothing further to date. And I can’t believe that Porsche’s drivetrain engineers would happily have signed off on this vibration, so it’s obviously not normal. The car is now booked in again for further investigation.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

andreas wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:50 pm
Macman wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:15 am I get this as well, so it’s probably a feature of the exhaust system. Best way to get rid of it is floor the accelerator, then the engine’s growl drowns it out :lol: . Fortunately it doesn’t bother me.

I’ve got sports exhaust, do people with non-sports exhaust get it as well?
Mine has standard exhaust. I don't think it's exhaust related, I think it's a driveline issue.
Note that there is a reported exhaust issue on a Petrol S (Porsche Post Macan Register) re a broken pipe strap.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀