Petrol S - resonance on acceleration

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
davidatbrookside

Post by davidatbrookside »

Just had my new Macan S for about two weeks now, between 2000 and 2400 revs under load I get what can only be described as a judder felt mainly through the seats into my back, took it in to Porsche Cambridge and a subsequent road test with one of their Technicians who also noted the "judder" or vibration, to me it feels like something is out of balance. Porsche Cambridge are looking into this with Porsche and will get back to me, I will update this thread when I have more information, in the meantime has anyone had a reasonable explanation other than "its normal resonance". My previous Macan S did 58k miles and was as smooth as millpond.

davidatbrookside

Update on "resonance" in my 2019 Macan S under acceleration, Porsche Cambridge have just told me one of their senior Technicians recently attended a seminar hosted by Porsche when the topic was brought up, seems Porsche are aware of the and I have been told it is a "Characteristic" of this particular model with no intention of providing some form of rectification, do I accept this.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Mrs’ S with PSE does this.

Told they all do it.

Worse when exhaust this on.
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
davidatbrookside

Well after a few weeks chasing the Dealer I have finally got a response from them and I requested the actual reply from Porsche to the Technician Mark, this is as follows:

“Hi Mark, this is a characteristic. It is felt under acceleration/ High load, V6 Petrol only between 2,000 to 3,000rpm. This is a combination of Engine/Exhaust characteristic to give the car a more sporty nature combined with a shaker which is bolted to the firewall behind the dashboard which also adds to this characteristic. After testing several Macan II 3.0 V6 they all have this same characteristic, this is to confirm this is not a fault, no action is required.”

What do you all think, is this an explanation or simply a fob off, I think the latter, but it seems they have no intention of doing anything about is.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I’ve come to live with it

It’s not bad

Just a characteristic
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
davidatbrookside

Further to my previous post and the Porsche response can anybody explain to me what a "Shaker" is, the only reference I seem to find on the internet is a air intake projection above the bonnet line, if anyone has a better explanation relating to the Macan then I would very much appreciate hearing from you.
Guy

Post by Guy »

It’s the ‘soundaktor’ - basically a loudspeaker that is bolted to the centre of the bulkhead to augment the sports exhaust sound. It is connected to a sound controller unit which is itself fed from a sensor on the engine.

I referred to it here also: https://www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8778&p=181923&hilit=Soundaktor#p181923
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

real question is, was it on the car you tested before buying, as you signed up to buy a car the same as your test drive? perhaps ask for one the same as your tested car.
Guy

Post by Guy »

davidatbrookside wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:01 pm Further to my previous post and the Porsche response can anybody explain to me what a "Shaker" is, the only reference I seem to find on the internet is a air intake projection above the bonnet line, if anyone has a better explanation relating to the Macan then I would very much appreciate hearing from you.
Further to my last message, for reference there's a picture of both the control unit and the soundaktor here: https://www.motor-talk.de/bilder/porsche-macan-s-diesel-thread-fuer-menschen-die-dieses-fahrzeug-fahren-in-kuerze-fahren-werden-g70583050/soundaktor-windschutzscheibe-1-i208041601.html

And here's a thread on Rennlist where someone disconnects it and goes for a drive: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-macan/1099699-speaker-for-engine-sound.html

If the dealer has suggested that the 'shaker' (aka soundaktor) may be part of the problem, perhaps you could ask them to disconnect it, and see if there is an improvement.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Guy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:13 pm It’s the ‘soundaktor’ - basically a loudspeaker that is bolted to the centre of the bulkhead to augment the sports exhaust sound. It is connected to a sound controller unit which is itself fed from a sensor on the engine.

I referred to it here also: https://www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8778&p=181923&hilit=Soundaktor#p181923
Does this mean shaker only present if "sports exhaust "fitted?
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8